Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble with dotted clouds

I have a classic album that I've owned for 20 years, imported from CD as high quality aif files into iTunes for just as long. I finally synced my Music library to the 'cloud library' and now there's a dotted cloud next to 8 of the 14 tracks, and they cannot be played on my iPhone.

The message on iPhone reads "The song is not synced across your devices. On your Mac go to apple music and in Preferences, select sync library." which I have done.

In looking up what the dotted cloud means I tried on my mac Music>File>Library>Update Cloud Library, which did not solve the problem.

Anyone have an idea?

Posted on Nov 26, 2020 5:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2020 5:57 AM

this is probable this one:

---

A dotted-line cloud

If you see a dotted-line cloud next to a song, then it might mean one of the following:

• Waiting: The song is in the process of being matched and hasn't been uploaded. Choose File > Library > Update Cloud Music Library to resolve this. 
  • Not Uploaded: The song was added from another device and can't be matched. To upload the song, turn on Sync Library on the computer where the original audio file is stored.
  • No longer available: The song is either not available in the Apple Music catalog, or hasn't been released yet.

---

read https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203564, mb it helps

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2020 5:57 AM in response to horsesbreed

this is probable this one:

---

A dotted-line cloud

If you see a dotted-line cloud next to a song, then it might mean one of the following:

• Waiting: The song is in the process of being matched and hasn't been uploaded. Choose File > Library > Update Cloud Music Library to resolve this. 
  • Not Uploaded: The song was added from another device and can't be matched. To upload the song, turn on Sync Library on the computer where the original audio file is stored.
  • No longer available: The song is either not available in the Apple Music catalog, or hasn't been released yet.

---

read https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203564, mb it helps

Nov 26, 2020 6:09 AM in response to V_J_R

Yes, I've already done the first two bullet points. The 3rd is likely no, as it is Beatles music. And anyway shouldn't it be available on all my devices, even if it's not in the apple music catalogue? Isn't that the benefit of syncing my library to the cloud?

What's frustrating is my Apple Music subscription should make these songs available to stream on my iPhone wether or not I have synced my library, which I have.

Trouble with dotted clouds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.