Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After BigSur, unable to print with Word for Mac (Vers 16.43)

I formerly was able to print with Word, then updated to BigSur and now cannot use drop down nor COMMAND+P to print. No print menu opens.

I can log into a different account on my MacBook Air and download Word and bring up a print screen and print, but not for my day-to-day/normal profile. I've deleted and reinstalled Word on my normal profile without success.

To print, I have to turn Word doc into a PDF and print from PDF (other apps work with printer). Nothing on Microsoft forums for why this might be.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 26, 2020 8:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 1:20 PM

Microsoft provided a fix:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/reset-mac-printing-system-solve-a-problem-mh14001/mac

I had to delete out the printers from my profile. Now I can save as a PDF in Word and print in Word. Strange.

6 replies

Nov 29, 2020 2:54 PM in response to TomLoganfromPortland

It might be the version of Office. Check here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/update-history-for-office-insider-for-mac-83d11f86-ef3c-48df-889e-9fda3cc66f5c

I had Office 2016, and Microsoft discontinued support for the whole thing on 10/13, so I wouldn't be surprised if it has compatibility problems with Big Sur. If that's not the problem, try updating to 16.44 and see if that will help (see same Microsoft page linked above).

I switched to Office 365 after receiving a notice from Microsoft on 11/15 that Office 2016 is no longer supported, so I gathered that Microsoft does not want to update that older software for Big Sur, but the timing might also be coincidental.

Nov 29, 2020 4:47 PM in response to hildegard47

Thanks. I switched my Microsoft update preferences from "slow" to "fast" and updated to 16.44. Problem persists. Weird thing is that I can save to PDF and print as a different User on the same machine.

Originally, the account I'm having problems with (the one with all my files) wasn't an Admin; the one with no issues was. I've switched both accounts to Admin privileges back when trying to troubleshoot this (before posting), but that didn't solve the problem either.

After BigSur, unable to print with Word for Mac (Vers 16.43)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.