Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

email rules not forwarding emails

Email rules work internally (moving to other mailboxes, coloring, etc.) but will not forward email to other addresses.

MacBook

Posted on Nov 26, 2020 10:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2020 7:14 PM

Old_Dog_Hawaii wrote:

Email rules work internally (moving to other mailboxes, coloring, etc.) but will not forward email to other addresses.

This happens server side, not locally—

The example here is iCloud Mail: https://www.icloud.com/

The alternative for one-off emails is use the Forward option in the Mail tool bar in the Mail.app

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2020 7:14 PM in response to Old_Dog_Hawaii

Old_Dog_Hawaii wrote:

This happens server side, not locally—

The example here is iCloud Mail: https://www.icloud.com/

The alternative for one-off emails is use the Forward option in the Mail tool bar in the Mail.app

Nov 30, 2020 12:01 PM in response to Old_Dog_Hawaii

Old_Dog_Hawaii wrote:
Having to log into iCloud all the time is a real hassle.

Your comment does not add up.

Maybe you can say more about what it is you are trying to do here (?).

Once you have an email set to forward that is it— it comes to your email address you specify.

It is not something you change with any regularity...

If you are simply forwarding an email it is done like it has always been done using the forward option in the mail tool bar.

What am I missing here?

Why would you need a rule?

please advise.

Nov 30, 2020 11:41 PM in response to Old_Dog_Hawaii

Hi,

I believe that you can set rules locally on the Mac by going into mail then on the menu bar at the top going to Mail>Preferences>Rules then you should be able to make and delete rules.

It is only on a iPad or iPhone that you would have to sign into iCloud on the web but Rules are synced across Apple Devices so long as they are signed in with the Apple ID so that would't be necessary.

Cheers and Stay Safe

Dec 1, 2020 6:58 PM in response to Scientist225

Yep, that is what I thought too. Been doing it for over 20 years so I thought I had the "hang" of it (with many and varied email systems) and over 30 years in IT.

But with Apple, everything gets changed on a regular basis, needed or not. Many features and operations that used to work just fine, now do not work anymore. Like AIR DROP and Tunes for instance.

Thanks for your suggestions sir, but I think just using Outlook will get it done.

email rules not forwarding emails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.