Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen issue on new MacBook Pro M1?

So I just bought the new MacBook Pro 13" with the M1 chip (arrived today). Absolutely blown away by how great it is already, a fantastic upgrade from my old Mac Mini.

However, I have noticed one issue. When on YouTube (unsure of other video apps yet), I come off full screen and a black rectangular blur appears on the bottom right of the screen for just a few seconds.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is it a YouTube thing? I have only noticed it on YouTube so far.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 26, 2020 2:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2020 3:04 PM

Okay so I have an update on this after speaking to Apple. Ever since updating to Big Sur 11.1 (I think it was on 11 when I bought it) I haven't experienced any issues with the flicker. I was told that updating to 11.1 would clear the issue but, failing that, I was given two other possible fixes:

Reset NVRAM or PRAM: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204063

or

Reset SMC: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201295

So first I would suggest checking your OS is up to date and, if it is and the issue still persists, try the fixes above.

Hope that helps!

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2020 3:04 PM in response to MrHarryEdwards

Okay so I have an update on this after speaking to Apple. Ever since updating to Big Sur 11.1 (I think it was on 11 when I bought it) I haven't experienced any issues with the flicker. I was told that updating to 11.1 would clear the issue but, failing that, I was given two other possible fixes:

Reset NVRAM or PRAM: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204063

or

Reset SMC: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201295

So first I would suggest checking your OS is up to date and, if it is and the issue still persists, try the fixes above.

Hope that helps!

Jan 25, 2021 1:41 AM in response to MrHarryEdwards

Hello MrHarryEdwards,

these possible fixes are for Intel Mac .... not for M1 Mac - because NVRAM is available in the M1 Mac, but the machine is configured to automatically run test on startup and automatically reset the NVRAM if needed - you can't trigger it manually ....

You can’t reset the SMC, because the M1 Mac doesn’t have a System Management Controller

Best regards,

Ivaylo

Dec 23, 2020 3:58 PM in response to MrHarryEdwards

Yes. I have definitely had that. And it got kinda repeatable in the oddest way:

You cannot really predict when will it happen, but when it DOES happen, you can basically rewind the video and it will happen in the same part of the video.

I have been playing with this error for a while on a video, and I got to repeat the bug every time IF:

• By the time you reach the frame in which the error happens, you make sure that the YouTube overlay controls are gone. (that is, skip back to a little earlier in the video so it gives time for them to fade away).

That way it will happen every single time. Once it happens, swiping to desktop and wiggling the mouse around makes it worse and makes it last longer, but after 5 seconds it abruptly stops.

If you exit the video (or just press esc and turn off fullscreen, not sure) the error is gone and will not repeat in the same spot.

P.D.: I observed it tends to happen in fairly still videos.

Nov 28, 2020 11:25 AM in response to MrHarryEdwards

yes, I have had the same problem. I’m thinking it’s something like the screen not knowing how to process the pure black of the borders? It’s so annoying, it looks like someone is pushing up against the screen.

when I press escape to get out of the YouTube video, it happens for like .5 of a second on the desktop screen but then goes away. Or even waving my mouse over there makes it go away slightly.

We need a fix!

Dec 1, 2020 1:08 AM in response to MrHarryEdwards

I'm having the same problem; it's kind of transient and doesn't always happen, so it's a little hard to replicate with any predictability. But it actually almost looks like a bleeding display for a second, but then it goes away and acts normal again.

Have not had this issue with any other programs or apps so far. Will update if it comes up anywhere else

Dec 3, 2020 9:00 PM in response to Hate rules

UPDATE:

So far, it seems only to be an issue on Safari. I tried watching several YouTube videos on Google Chrome (optimized for M1), and so far, no problems at all.

On Safari, nearly every video will do it if I go fullscreen and interact with it at all while it's fullscreen. It can be something as simple as pressing the left or right arrows to jump a few seconds back or forward.

On Chrome, I tried jumping backwards and forwards, bringing up the volume menu, going in and out of fullscreen several times, and repeated the process with several videos. With as much as I was doing, Safari would DEFINITELY give me an issue with the weird flickering black corner. Fortunately, with Chrome, it seems there is no issue.

Leads me to believe it's simply some aspect of YouTube's video codec not being well optimized for M1 yet on Safari, or something in the coding of Safari that is causing this bug. It's definitely a software issue, because no other video sites are giving me any issues on either browser.

Screen issue on new MacBook Pro M1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.