Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

hotspot only works when connected to wifi

On my iphone 12, personal hotspot ONLY functions if I have wifi on. What?! Isn't the purpose of hotspot to connect other devices to the internet THRU the phone's cellular data? (This is what I want to do anyway, as my wifi is satellite internet and far worse - and limited - than this phone's cellular 5g connection.)

I start with wifi turned OFF; settings > cellular > personal hotspot. Then I turn on "Allow Other to Join" and a pop up box says "Wi-Fi is OFF: Personal hotspot will only be available over Bluetooth and USB. Do you also want to enable it over WiFi?"

At first I assumed this meant that I could enable or disable whether the phone would BROADCAST its own little wifi network so other devices could find the iphone and connect to (using wifi), and that if I turned this wifi broadcast off, then the hotspot would ONLY be available by bluetooth and usb. Well, the part of that is true actually... when I click 'enable wifi' the iphone is discoverable and the other devices can connect to the hotspot.

HOWEVER, the iphone also simultaneously connects to my local wifi connection... so I'm no longer on cellular data! So both the iphone and it's connected device are now connecting to the internet thru my local wifi rather than using mobile data. And if I turn off my iphone's wifi data connection (after hotspot is working and connected) the hotspot also turns off and iphone is not discoverable.

So there is no way to use the hotspot on mobile data, which seems to completely defeat the purpose of hotspot. I mean, if wifi is available, not just connect the other devices directly to it rather than go thru the phone? Hotspot is operating redundantly, making it basically pointless. And my hotspot remains undiscoverable unless I have some wifi connection. This can't be right.

Help!

What am I missing? How do I get hotspot working over cellular data and turn off wifi?

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 27, 2020 9:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2020 6:50 PM

Hi new_here_2174,

We understand you have questions about using the personal hotspot on your iPhone. We're happy to help.

So to start off, it sounds like you have your device connected to a Wi-Fi network and you're trying to use the personal hotspot. This is what's causing the problem.

When you use the personal hotspot feature on an iPhone, it is broadcasting a Wi-Fi signal from your iPhone for other devices to connect to, so you need to have the Wi-Fi turned on. Essentially it is turning your iPhone into a Wi-Fi router, then on the device you want to connect, you would just go to the Wi-Fi settings and find the iPhone network just like any other normal Wi-Fi network.

Typically, most people are going to use the personal hotspot when they're in an area that they don't have access to Wi-Fi. It sounds like you're in an area where you do have access to a Wi-Fi network, and you have your iPhone connected to it. The fix for this is simple, just go to Settings > Wi-Fi, tap on the ⓘ next to the Wi-Fi network you're currently connected to and select Forget This Network. After that you can proceed with turning on your personal hotspot.

You can find more info on the personal hotspot feature here: How to set up a Personal Hotspot on your iPhone or iPad

We hope this helps. Take care!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2020 6:50 PM in response to new_here_2174

Hi new_here_2174,

We understand you have questions about using the personal hotspot on your iPhone. We're happy to help.

So to start off, it sounds like you have your device connected to a Wi-Fi network and you're trying to use the personal hotspot. This is what's causing the problem.

When you use the personal hotspot feature on an iPhone, it is broadcasting a Wi-Fi signal from your iPhone for other devices to connect to, so you need to have the Wi-Fi turned on. Essentially it is turning your iPhone into a Wi-Fi router, then on the device you want to connect, you would just go to the Wi-Fi settings and find the iPhone network just like any other normal Wi-Fi network.

Typically, most people are going to use the personal hotspot when they're in an area that they don't have access to Wi-Fi. It sounds like you're in an area where you do have access to a Wi-Fi network, and you have your iPhone connected to it. The fix for this is simple, just go to Settings > Wi-Fi, tap on the ⓘ next to the Wi-Fi network you're currently connected to and select Forget This Network. After that you can proceed with turning on your personal hotspot.

You can find more info on the personal hotspot feature here: How to set up a Personal Hotspot on your iPhone or iPad

We hope this helps. Take care!

hotspot only works when connected to wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.