Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail: contact Nickname is automatically forwarded to Recipient. Help?

# The Problem

Apple Mail does not only sort your e-mail threads according to e-mail addresses, but also according to the address names/nicknames you've assigned in your Contacts app. What few people know, is that these names are also forwarded INSIDE the e-mail, in the "To:" field (the recipient's e-mail header).

# The Problem in Practice

What this means is that if you gave a memorable name or nickname to. one of your contacts, such as "The IT Guy" or "New Weird Dude" or "Old Woman Floor 3" or "John Doe #2 - for emergency", this name will not only show up in Apple Mail when you're sorting threads, but will also show up in THEIR e-mail program when they get your e-mail.

# Wanted Solution

This Apple Feature is a breach of privacy, and there needs to be an option to disable this. Alternatively, there could be at least one Contact field which is suitable for adding names/nicknames, but that won't be automatically forwarded to your contact when you send them an e-mail.

# Motivational Rant

From my perspective, in 90% of cases there's absolutely no reason to send your recipient anything other than they own email address, though I can see how in some company environments attaching names alongside addresses can be useful when including multiple people in a thread. Still, it does not fit the usual Apple policy of favouring personalisation (personalised nicknames...) and privacy-friendliness (...that stay private!).

If anybody has good suggestions, I'm all ears!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 27, 2020 1:15 PM

Similar questions

There are no replies.

Apple Mail: contact Nickname is automatically forwarded to Recipient. Help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.