Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to remove big sur and restore catalina

how do I remove Big Sur and restore to Catalina. I was in the middle of a video project using Elgato video capture and it doesn't work with Big Sur... not super happy with Big Sur.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 28, 2020 9:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2020 9:36 AM

Before you get another answer, you might want to check with the Elgato people and see if they have an update in the works. Sometimes they come later than the update. I would rather think you can't undo the update now.

9 replies

Nov 28, 2020 9:42 AM in response to GmaEmma

Hi,

Go to the Finder help menu and type in "revert". From the drop down menu click on "Revert your Mac to a previous MacOS version". You will get instructions on how to revert back to your previous OS version. It requires that you have backed up your Mac with Time Machine while running the earlier version OS.

-- Rich

Nov 30, 2020 6:44 AM in response to GmaEmma

I think that had the problem be with just one or two things, it would not be a "problem" in the larger scheme of things. However, with this particular update (I have never complained before) often all of a sudden I can't scroll, or can't download, or can't read Books, or can't open Photos…the list goes on and on. So much has gone wrong that I now avoid the computer altogether. Right now I can't read any of the other posts above GmaEmma's last post. My problem with the tool bar menu is I can't read it - with it being so large it is too "close" and I have to lean back to see the icons. No choice as to how big it can be. No choice as to color or black and white. I fixed some of the coloration problems in Accessibility so I could see other things on the page better but overall this update has been a dud for me. Hopefully something will come along soon to "make it all better." I have 10 various Apple products, have been with them since their first computer, so finally complaining about this one shows (to me anyway) just how bad it is. I wonder if Apple is listening?

Dec 23, 2020 1:54 PM in response to Rich839

Has anyone successfully reverted to Catalina from Big Sur 11.1 with Time Machine?

I was trying to revert from Big Sur 11.1 back to Catalina via Time Machine and found that perhaps Big Sur has rendered my Time Machine useless.

After several attempts, I received a message that said "version of server you are trying to connect to is not supported."

The firmware on my Time Capsule is 7.8.1 (no update available when I go to the place to update. I think there is a 7.9.1 but I don't know how to get that update).

My iMac (21.5" Retina 4K; Intel) has been extremely slow since I upgraded to Big Sur 11.1. Even Apple apps like Safari take forever just to load.

Dec 23, 2020 2:45 PM in response to FabuCat

I'm wondering who they got to test this new OS before unleashing it on the unsuspecting public….there is always something when people also do odd things to their own computers and upload apps from non-Apple places. I guess there is no way of figuring it all out but this one just seems to be the worst of the worst so far. I'm still struggling to figure out how to hook up my scanner on my HP. Nothing seems to work. And my Epson scanner doesn't work either. It's as if Apple is blocking all scanners.

I doubt you will find a work around on your problem with Time Machine. I have had many issues with it so just disconnects my device until I can find someone that understands what they are doing and can fix those particular issues.

One update seems to have helped a couple of issues with Big Sur, but in all honesty it seems like Apple just takes the opportunity to add more crap to the already over burdened system. I don't need foreign letters in my fonts. They should give you the choice to download what you might want or need.

Jan 17, 2021 2:26 PM in response to GmaEmma

Elgato released an update that fixes this problem. Try this before removing Big Sur. You don't want to go back in OS versions if you can absolutely avoid it. Even if you have downloaded the updated your Elgato software after being prompted by your computer, VERIFY THAT YOU THE LATEST VERSION HERE:

https://help.elgato.com/hc/en-us/articles/360028243991-Elgato-Video-Capture-Software-Release-Notes

how to remove big sur and restore catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.