Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Mac Finder PICTURES seen in Mac Photos?

I use a windows based computer in my job and a Mac at home. I MUCH prefer storing my photos in a file system that is easy and logical file for me, which would be in the Pictures folder in the finder window.

My question is does the Photos app "see" those photos or would I have to import them into the photos app separately if there were a reason I specifically needed them there?

I don't want to get into the debate of using the Photos App vs what I prefer. I am just looking for the answer to my question. :) Please.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 28, 2020 11:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2020 11:33 AM

Photos must be imported into the library before they can be viewed by Photos.

Here's some food for thought:

Bottom line: you can duplicate the Finder folder organization that you prefer in Photos itself.

5 replies

Nov 28, 2020 11:29 AM in response to mgabormomof5

Hi photos needs to import the pictures.

It can leave them on the file system as referenced files, rather than physically copying them into the library (in the same way as lightroom does), but there are so many problems with doing that, it cannot be recommended.

So if you're considering using photos, you should base that decision on the need to import the files into the photos library.

Is Mac Finder PICTURES seen in Mac Photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.