Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can MacMini M1 run with this monitor?

Hi, I want to buy a LG 38WN95C-W an 38" monitor with resolution 3840x1600 and has 144 Hz. It uses thunderbolt 3. Can the new 2020 Mac mini M1 run at this resolution? Can it keep up with the 144 Hz or do I have to buy an 60Hz monitor?

Posted on Nov 28, 2020 2:44 PM

15 replies

Dec 14, 2020 1:45 PM in response to Dustin Vogel

I've got the M1 Mini and this monitor running on Thunderbolt and i'm only getting 60hrz out of it unfortunately. I'm also having issues with the LG screen splitting software. It does not recognise that there is any monitor plugged in.

Screen is also a little flickery at times (This is new) so may go away. Monitor is nice (expensive) but I only just got it and looking for solutions and came across your questions

Dec 14, 2020 3:16 PM in response to Dustin Vogel

Got rid of flickering and no issues now with that. Was trying the game mode setting on the monitor and forgot I had set it at that. Screen is now really clear. resolution is 3840 x 1600 / 60hrz. But there seems to be no where in the apple settings to try to configure this any higher. So if you do figure anything out please post. I'm happy enough with the monitor but the software is not working for it. I had planned to use it in split screen * 3 for work but its not a deal breaker as can arrange the apps as you like anyway. Just a little frustrating. I would like to get the max refresh rate out of it too as find it better for reading test while scrolling.

One other thing i've found a little annoying is turning on and off the monitor when you restart your computer, it seems to lose the connection as in it thinks there is no computer attached. A quick disconnect and reconnect of the thunderbolt port on the back of the m1 is what i've done to re establish connection. Could irritate me a little down the line though

Dec 14, 2020 4:32 PM in response to Dustin Vogel

FYI

Found this in a review

The LG 38WN95C-W has an outstanding refresh rate. It has native FreeSync support, and it's certified by NVIDIA to be G-SYNC compatible too. You can achieve the 144Hz refresh rate and get G-SYNC support only over a DisplayPort connection. Over HDMI, the VRR range is limited to 48-75Hz, and it only supports FreeSync.

So maybe get a Thunderbolt (USB C) to display port cable capable of doing it if you want 144Hz but I think you will lose the use of the USB ports on the back if you do (I think). Plus not sure if this is possible on M1 mac

Dec 20, 2020 12:38 PM in response to Tobsn

Hi Tobsn.

yes. I can confirm this is the case. I got one on Amazon for €20. It works and I’m getting 144Hz now.

only problem is it’s sold as a thunderbolt 3 monitor with 144Hz and I’m not sure if it’s the M1 macs or the monitor that can’t pass 144Hz though Thunderbolt but it doesn’t work that way and therefore you lose the valuable extra USB ports on the back of the monitor when using display port which I’d planned on making use of.

anyway 144Hz via display port is confirmed yes

link to cable

USB C to DisplayPort Cable 8K@60Hz Maxonar 4K@60Hz/144Hz/120Hz 5K@60Hz 2K@240Hz Thunderbolt 3 to DisplayPort Cable HBR3 DP 1.4 Adapter for MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Dell XPS 2M/6.6Ft VESA Certified https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08B3SB5VC/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_api_fabc_ty73FbZGA3A8Y?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Can MacMini M1 run with this monitor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.