Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernel Panic Mac Mini M1 8GB Ram in Final Cut Pro

Hey,

Anyone else had issues with Final Cut Pro on an M1 computer?

Have had 6 Kernel Panics in 24 hours with my New Mac Mini M1. All has happened in Final Cut Pro while editing XAVC files in 8-bit 4:2:0 from Sony a7siii.

Never been an issue on my Macbook Pro from 2018 running Mojave.

I don't know if this is related to hardware in my specific computer, if something is wrong, or if it's software. Have seen many others being able to edit flawlessly on their new M1 computers. I can edit for about a minute before the whole computer freezes for 1-2 minutes and then shutting down and restarting. I have a report log from one incident. If anyone can read it it would be very helpful.

I had two connected hard drives at the time that specific incident happened. One LaCie Rugged 2TB and one Samsung T7 1TB.

I later unplugged the LaCie drive while troubleshooting but it got Kernel Panic again with only the Samsung T7 was plugged in. I have all my footage and library on that drive, so I can't unplug it.

Really need to get this to work, since I need to send my Macbook Pro to service this week and I have work that has to be done in Final Cut Pro during the time it's away.

Posting a video of an incident and a report log down below.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

Mac mini, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 28, 2020 5:24 PM

Similar questions

47 replies

Nov 30, 2020 8:10 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I have reported it and will now speak to Apple about the issue. Seems to be a very specific issue where it seems to only happen when grabbing the start or end of a clip and extending it or shorten it. About 50% of the times, the computer freezes and 2 minutes later the computer restarts.

This does not happen with the same project on another computer (MBP 15" 2018)

I don't have a smaller monitor unfortunately.

Nov 30, 2020 9:39 AM in response to Meg The Dog

XAVC files in 8-bit 4:2:0 from Sony a7siii. No optimized media or proxies. Never used them with my MBP.

Tried to set the playback to "better performance" without success, same issue there.

My next step is to make a completely clean reinstall of macOS and setting it up as new, then only install fcp to see if the issue occurs with other footage such as iPhone files or files downloaded from ex. youtube.

My theory is that FCP is bugged. Going to call Apple later today.

Nov 30, 2020 1:55 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thank you Tom!

I feel very stupid right now, but I seem to have found where the issue is. I have since tried other troubleshooting steps, as it did not seem to be related to either my user, the OS and hardware.

I tried (which I should have from the beginning) to create a new project with different files, coming from different sources. I found other projects to be working without crashing. Looks like it's the library that does not work with the M1 Mac. I could not really switch library in the middle of the project I was working on, but I tried to import the same files into new library, and voilá. Seems to have been the library that was the issue (still don't know what part of the library since it does work on macOS Big Sur on my MacBook. However, that does not concern me anymore since I know that from now on, I have to start new, fresh libraries for upcoming projects that I will do on my new M1 Mac Mini.

Thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate it!

Dec 3, 2020 1:12 PM in response to kevinmuturi

The watchdog timeout Kernel Panic has existed in macos for well over a year. Its interesting that its now made its way into the new hardware as well. You can search Mac rumours or these forums and find many long running threads with hundreds on responses from many hundreds of people trying to address and resolve this issue. Its the os and requires Apple to fix it. You can find the threads on mac rumors discussing the exact same KP on M1 under the 38 page thread.

Dec 4, 2020 11:31 PM in response to BradSP

Yes, I have those problems since March or so on a rMBP Late 2013, this is not hardware related. What “fixes” it for me and many others is unplugging the monitor, then it’s stable.

Many people report that it has to do with Thunderbolt.

For many, the machine crashes when sleeping and if a monitor is attached. If the cable is removed, it does not crash.

I thought this was not going to happen on M1 Macs :(

Kernel Panic Mac Mini M1 8GB Ram in Final Cut Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.