Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow 2012 iMac

I have a late 2012 iMac with a failing HDD. If I replace with an SSD drive will that work and will it be quick and efficient.

I ran the etracheck report which indicated a failing hard drive.

Any other options? It is becoming unusable.

Posted on Nov 28, 2020 6:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2020 6:56 PM

Yes, SSD would make it significantly faster. I would try using an external USB 3 SSD and clone your internal HD to the SSD using either SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner. Then make the SSD you boot drive and you are in business. Working on the internals of iMacs particularly 2012 and later models is very difficult and not advised.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2020 6:56 PM in response to Space_Ace9

Yes, SSD would make it significantly faster. I would try using an external USB 3 SSD and clone your internal HD to the SSD using either SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner. Then make the SSD you boot drive and you are in business. Working on the internals of iMacs particularly 2012 and later models is very difficult and not advised.

Nov 29, 2020 6:51 AM in response to Space_Ace9

I had my local Authorized Repair center do the upgrade on my 2012 27" iMac. I didn't want to take the chance of cracking the large display. As rkaufmann says, it is definitely worth the expense. There is a night and difference between the responsiveness of the 2012 after the installation of the SSD. Also check out iFixit.com's guides as well.

I hope this helps.

Paul

Slow 2012 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.