Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RAW/CR2 image preview "tile" effect

Hi there. I'm getting into using RAW rather than JPEG in photography and I noticed that when I preview images by pressing space bar on them in Finder, they open and a moment later, the appearance of the image changes - usually it becomes more contrasty, less hazy.

It looks like Preview is processing the image divided into tiles, first the bottom row, then the top row.

When I open the image in Affinity Photo, it automatically looks like that more contrasty version.

Opened in XnViewMP it always looks like what Preview shows in the first moment.

Can anyone explain what's happening here?

Is this some sort of lens correction?

Posted on Nov 29, 2020 3:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2020 12:32 PM

I'll just answer this myself according to what I've read on the Affinity Photo forums :D

It seems that what I'm seeing before the "tile effect" is a preview contained in the RAW file. The preview is using the camera settings in terms of white balance etc and is stored as a JPEG, much faster to load.

Then, it takes Preview a moment to load in the RAW file.

XnViewMP on the other hand seems to display that preview only and I have not been able to find a way to make it display the RAW file instead.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2020 12:32 PM in response to itsame_mario

I'll just answer this myself according to what I've read on the Affinity Photo forums :D

It seems that what I'm seeing before the "tile effect" is a preview contained in the RAW file. The preview is using the camera settings in terms of white balance etc and is stored as a JPEG, much faster to load.

Then, it takes Preview a moment to load in the RAW file.

XnViewMP on the other hand seems to display that preview only and I have not been able to find a way to make it display the RAW file instead.

RAW/CR2 image preview "tile" effect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.