Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Free alternatives to Malwarebytes

The free Malwarebytes app no longer works. I tried trashing the old version and downloaded the new version. It does not seem to open unless I buy the premium version. Are there other free alternatives to Malwarebytes?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 29, 2020 8:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2020 8:34 AM

deflumeri wrote:

The free Malwarebytes app no longer works. I tried trashing the old version and downloaded the new version. It does not seem to open unless I buy the premium version. Are there other free alternatives to Malwarebytes?

There is no substitute. Are you having an issue on your Mac independent of Malwarebytes?

What exact mac is this ?

What macOS are you currently running?

This is what I see:

"Download Malwarebytes for Mac (the free version) and you get a 14-day trial of the premium version with automatic (real-time) virus and malware protection. After 14 days, your trial reverts to a limited disinfection scanner."

Malwarebytes Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2020 8:34 AM in response to deflumeri

deflumeri wrote:

There is no substitute. Are you having an issue on your Mac independent of Malwarebytes?

What exact mac is this ?

What macOS are you currently running?

This is what I see:

"Download Malwarebytes for Mac (the free version) and you get a 14-day trial of the premium version with automatic (real-time) virus and malware protection. After 14 days, your trial reverts to a limited disinfection scanner."

Malwarebytes Support

Nov 29, 2020 9:27 AM in response to deflumeri

The "real-time protection" built into macOS is better than anything that can be hung off the side later using third-party Utilities.

Malwarebytes makes it money from the Premium version, but the free 'disinfectant scanner' is the part you may need if you suspect a current infection. If you wish to support the developer, buying the premium version is one way.

Etrecheck presents a comparable dilemma. It can also detect malware (along with many other issues) with its free limited runs version, but asks you to purchase a premium version of you find it valuable, to support the developer.

Free alternatives to Malwarebytes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.