Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomeKit accessories only available on some devices

I’ve been having issues with HomeKit for awhile now, a phone call with support got it working last week but it’s once again breaking down. Basically, only a handful of iOS devices can actually control HomeKit accessories, with the rest just showing every accessory “updating” forever. My network setup, if it matters: modem operating in bridge mode to an AirPort Extreme supplying DHCP and NAT services. An airport express is connected by ethernet to extend the network to the upper floor of the house. Current statuses:

Home owner Apple ID devices:

iPhone 11 Pro: HomeKit working

iPad Pro 3rd gen: all updating

Late 2018 Mac Mini: all updating

4K Apple TV: HomeKit working

4th gen Apple TV: HomeKit working

HomePod mini 1: can’t access HomeKit devices

HomePod mini 2: can’t access HomeKit devices

HomePod mini 3: HomeKit working

Home guest devices:

iPhone 8 Max: all updating

iPad Pro 3rd gen: all updating

2020 MacBook Pro: all updating

Again, which devices are and aren’t working seems to fluctuate, for example last night two of the three HomePods were working. This has been going on for about a month, before that HomeKit was working flawlessly for nearly a year.

HomePod mini, 14

Posted on Nov 29, 2020 12:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2020 1:21 PM

I have had similar issues since iOS 14.2 was released. I think the hub functionality of the Homepods in particular really got messed up when 14.2 came out. I was hoping 14.2.1 for homepod was going to fix it, but it did not. I have tried everything I can thing of. Reset every device multiple times, Updated my network router's firmware, I even removed all my devices and started over in the Home app. In general, the Homepods will not carry out commands given to them via Siri. They keep saying they are not getting responses from the devices in question. If I use Siri on my phone or through the Apple TV, it works fine. If the primary hub stays on one of my Apple TV's, my devices will stay connected for the most part. If the primary hub is one of the Homepods, the devices stop responding and I get a lot of the "updating" status that you're referring to. Not sure what to do at this point but hope there is a 14. 3 that will fix this.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2020 1:21 PM in response to DropDeadKiley

I have had similar issues since iOS 14.2 was released. I think the hub functionality of the Homepods in particular really got messed up when 14.2 came out. I was hoping 14.2.1 for homepod was going to fix it, but it did not. I have tried everything I can thing of. Reset every device multiple times, Updated my network router's firmware, I even removed all my devices and started over in the Home app. In general, the Homepods will not carry out commands given to them via Siri. They keep saying they are not getting responses from the devices in question. If I use Siri on my phone or through the Apple TV, it works fine. If the primary hub stays on one of my Apple TV's, my devices will stay connected for the most part. If the primary hub is one of the Homepods, the devices stop responding and I get a lot of the "updating" status that you're referring to. Not sure what to do at this point but hope there is a 14. 3 that will fix this.

Dec 15, 2020 4:28 PM in response to DropDeadKiley

14.3 worked great right after I updated all the Homepods. However now it’s a few hours later and things are back to the way they were. HomePods are not executing smart home commands. Same deal as before....as soon as one of the HomePods takes over as the hub, everything goes downhill. If the Apple TV’s are in charge, devices stay connected to the home at least. I just can’t control them through the HomePods.

Dec 19, 2020 1:39 PM in response to DropDeadKiley

My Homekit setup went after the iOS devices and Apple TV updated to 14.3. On all my iOS devices all of the smart home switches etc show up fine and can be controlled when I am on my network. All of the automations also seem to work. However, all devices are shown as no response if I leave my network on both iOS and my office Mac (2015 running Big Sur). Furthermore, about 2/3s of the automations have stated underneath them “home hub not connected”. Also, in the home settings under “Hubs and Bridges” the Apple TV shows as on “standby” which should only occur if there is something else running as the primary hub (like a home pod). In my case in the home settings the “software update” setting shows HomePod and not my Apple TV, and I don’t have a HomePod! Finally, everything works fine on my 4 month old intel MacBook Air: all the devices show up and can be controlled locally and remotely and all the automations do not show “home hub not connected”, and in the “Hubs and Bridges” the Apple TV shows as “connected”. I think that this is a icloud problem that was introduced by the Apple software engineers when the home pod was introduced. I have spent hours with Apple support, mostly re-explaining the problem to senior advisors that have no clue about Homekit.

HomeKit accessories only available on some devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.