Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notes app won’t let me unlock notes even after I reset password

Why won’t the notes app let me unlock locked notes?

I’ve reset the passwords and changed them via settings but every time I go to enter it it tells me the password is wrong and instead shows the old hint I used years ago which is no help at all. I’ve even restarted my ipad in hopes it would work but it doesn’t. This only seems to be happening to my old notes though and not new ones. Could this be because I backed up my ipad before, reset it, then used that backup? (Did it for storage purposes)

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Nov 29, 2020 2:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2020 4:51 PM

I can tell you this that Apple cannot help you with this. Unless you can remember the password, the notes will remain locked forever and be unusable.

The text in italics was copied from here.

How to lock notes on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

To unlock a note, you need to enter the password that it's locked with. If you forgot the password, Apple can't help you regain access to your locked notes. You can create a new password, but this won’t give you access to your old notes. A new password will let you password protect any notes that you create going forward with the new password.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2020 4:51 PM in response to nightcall

I can tell you this that Apple cannot help you with this. Unless you can remember the password, the notes will remain locked forever and be unusable.

The text in italics was copied from here.

How to lock notes on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

To unlock a note, you need to enter the password that it's locked with. If you forgot the password, Apple can't help you regain access to your locked notes. You can create a new password, but this won’t give you access to your old notes. A new password will let you password protect any notes that you create going forward with the new password.

Nov 29, 2020 4:41 PM in response to nightcall

You can try contacting support for assistance. None of your

fellow users in this forum will be able to provide your forgotten

password or enable access to the protected notes.

Generally, Apple holds that it is the user's responsibility

to keep track of passwords used to lock Notes and other

items. If the password protection were easy to circumvent,

it would be worthless.

Contact Support

Good luck. Please update with what you find out when contacting

support.

Notes app won’t let me unlock notes even after I reset password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.