Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp driver installation causes Windows 10 Pro BSOD

I have an iMac Pro. I just finished deleting and creating a new Windows 10 Pro partition using Bootcamp. After Windows finishes booting and I log in, I am trying to install the Bootcamp drivers. During the first part of the installation, Windows 10 Pro BSODs and reboots. I cannot install the Bootcamp drivers. It keeps BSODing and rebooting. I am stuck at this point.

Posted on Nov 29, 2020 4:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2021 7:03 PM

Well, I am happy to report back that the Bootcamp driver installation was a success.  The update that Windows downloaded was a driver update.  Apple Inc. - System - 6.1.7800.11 was the driver it installed.

The Bootcamp installer was Version 6.1 (Build Version 7866)

That installed without BSODing.  I then rebooted and ran Apple Software Update which downloaded Boot Camp Update version 6.1.13.  I didn’t see anything in the update notes that were specific to my machine or issue.

I think the Apple system driver that Windows downloaded resolved the issue.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2021 7:03 PM in response to Loner T

Well, I am happy to report back that the Bootcamp driver installation was a success.  The update that Windows downloaded was a driver update.  Apple Inc. - System - 6.1.7800.11 was the driver it installed.

The Bootcamp installer was Version 6.1 (Build Version 7866)

That installed without BSODing.  I then rebooted and ran Apple Software Update which downloaded Boot Camp Update version 6.1.13.  I didn’t see anything in the update notes that were specific to my machine or issue.

I think the Apple system driver that Windows downloaded resolved the issue.

Nov 30, 2020 6:58 AM in response to Tim_McManus

• The KeyMagic should be fine once Windows Update is run.
  • Good to see the Broadcom drivers work.
  • I do not see a GPU driver been installed. Is this the complete log?
  • The MacHALDriver.sys is a known issue.

See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4510977/updating-to-windows-10-version-1903-on-apple-mac-devices-introduced-be for reference. What is the year/model of your Mac (do not post the serial number)?

Nov 29, 2020 7:35 PM in response to Loner T

I had to remove the earlier partition completely because of a similar BSOD issue. Windows wouldn't even load. I removed that Boot Camp partition, created a new one with an ISO image I downloaded today.

I can boot into Windows 10 Pro, but during the very first part of the Boot Camp driver installation when the screen flickers and distorts, it BSODs. The status bar on the Boot Camp installer is tiny, not even 1/10th of the way into the installation. I would have to watch it more closely to see which device it is trying to install when it BSODs.

Nov 30, 2020 10:06 AM in response to Tim_McManus

Since it is a 2017 iMac Pro, the Product Version I get is

<ProductManufacturer>Apple Inc.</ProductManufacturer>
<ProductVersion>6.1.7866</ProductVersion>

and the BC GPU drivers are

<Name> "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc." Display Driver
				<InfName>C0350660.inf</InfName>
				<Class>Display</Class>
				<ClassGUID>{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}</ClassGUID>
				<CatalogFile>C0350660.CAT</CatalogFile>
				<Provider> "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc."</Provider>
				<DriverVer>01/08/2020, 26.20.13001.53002</DriverVer>
				<ServiceBinary>B350622\atikmdag.sys</ServiceBinary>
				<HardwareID></HardwareID>
				<isX64>yes</isX64>
			</Name>
			<Name> "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc." Display Driver
				<InfName>U0350660.inf</InfName>
				<Class>Display</Class>
				<ClassGUID>{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}</ClassGUID>
				<CatalogFile>U0350660.CAT</CatalogFile>
				<Provider> "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc."</Provider>
				<DriverVer>01/08/2020, 26.20.13001.53002</DriverVer>
				<ServiceBinary>B350622\atikmdag.sys</ServiceBinary>
				<HardwareID></HardwareID>
				<isX64>yes</isX64>
			</Name>

Are either of these two drivers causing the BSoD?

Also, was the previous installation of W10 installed using an older W10 ISO?

Jan 11, 2021 2:36 PM in response to Loner T

Unfortunately, no. I followed Apple's instructions for installing Boot Camp and used the link provided in those instructions to download a Windows 10 iso.

Is the issue a result of Apple not having updating their drivers to support the most recent shipping version of Windows 10? More than likely the previously installed version of Windows on my Boot Camp partition died because I received the Windows 10 20H2 update and it created a fatal conflict with Apple's older and incompatible drivers.

Jan 11, 2021 3:20 PM in response to Loner T

I just booted into Bootcamp after a few weeks and noticed an Apple download that was part of Windows Update. I am in the process of downloading the Bootcamp drivers again to attempt to reinstall them with the hope that the new Apple download resolves the issue.

Windows 10 20H2 runs perfectly fine on this Mac. It's the installation of the Bootcamp drivers that causes the issue. Clearly at this juncture there is an issue with the Apple video driver installation in the Bootcamp installer package. If Apple updates the driver (or in this case if the new download fixes the issue), it should be smooth sailing from here.

Bootcamp driver installation causes Windows 10 Pro BSOD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.