Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I change the disk where the Backup folder is stored?

I am using OSX High Sierra. and iTunes to backup my iPad mini. . How can I change the disk where the Backup folder is stored?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 29, 2020 4:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2020 5:33 PM

See Relocate iOS device backups. Review the rest of the Make a split library portable user tip for advice on organizing the library on external storage.

A recent change to the forum software has messed up the formatting of the user tip somewhat. The terminal command should look like this:

ln -s "/Volumes/<New Volume>/MobileSync/Backup" "/Users/<User>/Library/Application Support/MobileSync"

Where <New Volume> is the name of the volume you want to store the data on, and <User> is the name of your profile. If there are spaces in the path wrap with quotes or escape with backslash. It is probably easier to type in ln -s then drag and drop the two folders onto the command line in turn.

tt2

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2020 5:33 PM in response to chillypop

See Relocate iOS device backups. Review the rest of the Make a split library portable user tip for advice on organizing the library on external storage.

A recent change to the forum software has messed up the formatting of the user tip somewhat. The terminal command should look like this:

ln -s "/Volumes/<New Volume>/MobileSync/Backup" "/Users/<User>/Library/Application Support/MobileSync"

Where <New Volume> is the name of the volume you want to store the data on, and <User> is the name of your profile. If there are spaces in the path wrap with quotes or escape with backslash. It is probably easier to type in ln -s then drag and drop the two folders onto the command line in turn.

tt2

How can I change the disk where the Backup folder is stored?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.