Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won’t Quickpath keyboard accept the word “the”?

I love the convenience of swiping to enter text on my iPhone keyboard rather than hunting and pecking for individual characters.

But I am beyond frustrated by the software’s inability to accept the word “the”. I swipe over the letters T, H, and E, then I STOP. But There keyboard enters “there”, or “then”, or “them”, “There”, etc.

Here’s an example to demonstrate, without me going back and correcting:

I am beyond frustrated by There software’s inability to accept There word There.

Every one of the (had to correct this from “them”, even though I went nowhere near the “m” key) “There’s” in the previous paragraph was typed as “the”, with my finger lifted up after landing on the “e”.

Why “There”? Why capitalized in the middle of a sentence? Why do I spend more time correcting this than I would use with the standard keyboard?

Any advice is appreciated.

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Nov 29, 2020 6:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2020 7:11 AM

Thanks for your reply. I have already done that, too. It seems as if coming to this forum for an answer was not the best idea. The sliding keyboard just does not work trying to type the word “the”. Do you not have a similar problem?

5 replies

Dec 7, 2020 7:50 AM in response to Dale Roe

Hello, Dale Roe! Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities. We want to be sure that your iPhone is working normally and we’re happy to help you. 

From what we understand, it sounds like you are noticing that your words will be corrected automatically in some situations. 

To test this issue, can you tell us how things perform with the Auto-Correction and predictive text features disabled for now? The following Apple Support article explains how you can manage these features on your device. 

How to use Auto-Correction and predictive text on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

We hope that these steps help and we look forward to your reply.

Take care! 

Dec 7, 2020 8:25 AM in response to ManJor

Hi. Thank you for your reply, but that does *not* help. I should have noted that I had already read that piece.

If this is how my phone is intended to work — and if it's working correctly — then that's problematic. All of the information is in my original post. I cannot get the swipe-typing feature to work correctly. Every time I type the word "the", additional letters get tacked onto it.

Did you even read my response?

Dec 9, 2020 5:37 AM in response to Dale Roe

Thank you for the message, Dale Roe. We understand that you are noticing the same problem after disabling auto-correction and predictive text on your device. 

To continue from here, we’d suggest resetting the keyboard dictionary. This step will delete all custom words you have typed and will return the keyboard dictionary to the default settings. 

To do this, open Settings > General > Reset on your device. Choose “Reset Keyboard Dictionary” here. 

We look forward to hearing the results. 

Take care! 

Dec 14, 2020 9:24 AM in response to Dale Roe

Hi there, Dale Roe. We understand that the keyboard is still not responding as you would expect and we want to be sure that you can find a solution to this issue you are noticing when you use your iPhone. To continue from here, we recommend that you contact Apple Support directly. 

Depending on your region, you may be able to reach them here:

Get Support

We hope this information helps you find a solution. 

Take care! 

Why won’t Quickpath keyboard accept the word “the”?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.