Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted my iMac Hardrive - Disk Utility can't see it

Hi.

When I was cleaning up my iMac I went too far and did something I shouldn't have done. Now the disk utility tool cant see the disk anymore .... :-(

The iMac works fine - or it did until I messed things up.

I reboot with option + command + R for an internet OS recovery and it works fine, until it's time to select the disk where the installation should occur. And as I said, there is no disk.

Everything worked fine until I did the incorrect action deleting/formatting the HDD, so I guess the HW is ok.

Feels like som magic in the terminal is needed? I have no idea how to manage this and don't even know where to start, except that it feels like this must be managed in the terminal somehow.

Any ideas?

I have attached som pictures to clarify the thing a bit.

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 3:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 4:56 PM

It seems like the Fusion Drive is split most likely due to a failing hard drive. Here are the instructions for recreating the Fusion Drive (assuming the hard drive is still healthy):

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207584

Try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if it may report a failing hard drive. Unfortunately the diagnostic doesn't always find failing hard drives.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2020 4:56 PM in response to magtam

It seems like the Fusion Drive is split most likely due to a failing hard drive. Here are the instructions for recreating the Fusion Drive (assuming the hard drive is still healthy):

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207584

Try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if it may report a failing hard drive. Unfortunately the diagnostic doesn't always find failing hard drives.

Nov 30, 2020 10:55 PM in response to HWTech

YES - It worked!! Thank you HWtech ... I followed the instructions to recreate the Fusion Drive in the Terminal and it was successful. I could then see the drive as one HD in Disk Utility and rename it back to "Macintosh HD" again. Then I could re-install the OS because now there was a HD to install it on.

Superthanks HWTech, you have saved my day (or week :-) ). Problem solved.

Dec 1, 2020 8:12 AM in response to magtam

I'm glad you are back up & running.

I would suggest checking the health of the hard drive though by using DriveDx. Post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. The hard drive is more likely to have problems than the SSD, but to be safe you should post the DriveDx report for the SSD and the hard drive.

Make sure to have frequent & regular backups so you don't lose any important data.

Deleted my iMac Hardrive - Disk Utility can't see it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.