Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

big sur - active directory logon without office network

Hello,

one of my user recently updated to big sur his macbook pro.

From that moment he can't login outside office network; osx join an AD domain (win 2019 server) and we use AD account (mobile account is created on /User during the first login).

I also tryied to turn off the network, reboot (inside the office) and he was right, without our network, he has the error "account is locked".

We don't use JAMF.

We use the same setup from about 2005, never had this kind of issues (we also avoid upgrading osx before 9/10 months of testing)

Thanks

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 9:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2021 4:17 PM

Wow, literally just resolved this on a whim. I have posted in this thread (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252264961?answerId=252264961021&page=2) too, but here is a recap:

Based on this article (https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/directory-utility/ior6d33c187e/mac), the password needs to be updated in 3 different places. Re-joining the laptop to domain and purging the keychain did not help, but this did it.

- connect to the domain (ethernet cable preferred)
- go to System Preferences > Users & Groups > click on "Change Password" for the domain account (the affected user profile) > change your password
- verify the password is updated somehow -- "net user THEUSERNAME /domain" in Command Prompt -- or just wait a couple of minutes for the change to sync to AD
- disconnect from the domain (go offline with no WiFi connection)
- try logging back in with the newly changed password

The password needs to be updated in 3 different places, so deleting the user profile, resetting the keychain, or re-joining to domain, or whatever else you do will not be sufficient. On the Mac OS backend, it needs to find and update all 3 of those different stores simultaneously -- and it's only through this method that that works.

Give this a shot! It has worked for our user. I'm just wondering if the user profile will break again... and I won't be surprised if it does. One step at a time though!

27 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2021 4:17 PM in response to chopni

Wow, literally just resolved this on a whim. I have posted in this thread (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252264961?answerId=252264961021&page=2) too, but here is a recap:

Based on this article (https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/directory-utility/ior6d33c187e/mac), the password needs to be updated in 3 different places. Re-joining the laptop to domain and purging the keychain did not help, but this did it.

- connect to the domain (ethernet cable preferred)
- go to System Preferences > Users & Groups > click on "Change Password" for the domain account (the affected user profile) > change your password
- verify the password is updated somehow -- "net user THEUSERNAME /domain" in Command Prompt -- or just wait a couple of minutes for the change to sync to AD
- disconnect from the domain (go offline with no WiFi connection)
- try logging back in with the newly changed password

The password needs to be updated in 3 different places, so deleting the user profile, resetting the keychain, or re-joining to domain, or whatever else you do will not be sufficient. On the Mac OS backend, it needs to find and update all 3 of those different stores simultaneously -- and it's only through this method that that works.

Give this a shot! It has worked for our user. I'm just wondering if the user profile will break again... and I won't be surprised if it does. One step at a time though!

Dec 2, 2020 6:30 AM in response to mz_teddy

Test i've made so far:

• remove/rejoin from AD
  • recreate user account on macbook (renamed user dir -> user login -> create user folder)

The issue occur also on screen lock (if the user try to unlock outside office network).

Actually, if the user need the macbook outside, i've disabled system lock and he should never restart or power off the computer when out of office.

Jan 25, 2021 1:15 AM in response to mz_teddy

Hello,

I've tried to reset the account, remove it from AD, but nothing worked.

One thing made the trick though, you will need an Admin account on the same computer.

1. Log in with the Admin session (make sure you that you have administrator rights enabled)
  2. Connect to your organisation VPN
  3. Use the fast user switching from the menu bar
  4. Log in to your session: it worked 100% every time for my case

May 31, 2021 12:07 AM in response to 8leonn

I wish this worked for me, as that workaround would at least allow me access again, but when I try the fast switch it prompts me for the password and says account is locked again. Is there anything you are doing that allows fast switch without a password or I wonder if I have a different problem?

One thing I'll add which isn't mentioned in this thread is that you can do the following which doesn't solve the problem but might be a useful step forward.

1. Using a local admin account on the machine enable screen sharing
  2. Connect to the VPN
  3. On another machine on the same network, initiate a screen sharing session
  4. During the connection, you get a choice to login as a different user - use the AD user for this (seems to work because VPN is connected I guess)
  5. Once you are remote logged in as the locked user you can connect to the VPN again.

Hope that helps! I'm really stuck with this, spent all weekend now travelling into the office tomorrow in the hope someone can fix it.

Jun 28, 2021 11:16 AM in response to mz_teddy

1. Yes, Admin account and VPN connecton is required if you are working from home. Even user password is required to create new account.
  2. Rename user profile from /Users/username to /Users/usernameX
  3. delete user account from SystemPref > Users& Groups
  4. Run below commands using terminal
  5. sudo /System/Library/CoreServices/ManagedClient.app/Contents/Resources/createmobileaccount -n username
  6. dscacheutil -q user -a name username
  7. sudo dsconfigad -passinterval 0
  8. Login
  9. Enter user
  10. Password
  11. this will create new user account
  12. after this we need to restore user profile
  13. /Users/username to /Users/username_Del
  14. & then /Users/usernameX to /Users/username

Jun 28, 2021 11:31 AM in response to mz_teddy

Login with admin account, connect VPN 

Rename user profile to aduser1X

Delete user from Preferences

• sudo /System/Library/CoreServices/ManagedClient.app/Contents/Resources/createmobileaccount -n aduser1

Enter superadmin password

enter username as superadmin

Enter superadmin password

• dscacheutil -q user -a name pragyatripathi
  • Login

Enter aduser1

Enter Password

provide admin access temp and run below command

• sudo dsconfigad -passinterval 0

Remove admin access

rename aduser1 to aduser1Y

rename aduser1X to aduser1

And restart computer to login

here, superadmin = admin account , aduser1 = user account

Dec 29, 2020 8:57 AM in response to mz_teddy

I'm having this same problem right now as well.

I have an admin account on my box, and i'm able to login on that admin account. From there i can connect to my corporate VPN and then I can switch users and i'm able to sign into my account. Once i'm in my account i have to connect to my corporate VPN again and then I'm able to work.

Such a janky work around...

@Apple, please get this bug resolved.

Jan 14, 2021 4:19 PM in response to mz_teddy

i've had this happen (or one very similar) with 2 users who jumped the gun and went to Big Sur, and were soon locked out of their macs.

in each case, they had to ship their laptop to the office. i back up, erase, install 10.15, restore user.

big problem for us.

i'm trying to test the exact trigger for this. it was some kind of password update that the user did (reportedly the ad password update while on vpn). let me know if you have any details on this.

current theory for fix is to use Nomad to re-establish the ad password to the mac, but haven't been able to test out yet.

Jan 15, 2021 8:33 AM in response to scottjking

yes, scottjking, i did a full backup with Carbon Copy cloner, made sure it was bootable. then erased the mac. installed 10.15 from an external utility drive.

now to copy data back is a pain since 10.15 did not read the bigsur drive formats. so used another 10.16 partition to boot from and then just cloned over user's folder into the 10.15 internal drive.

time machine might work, but sometimes it will reject that the destination is older than the backup.

next time , i plan to just back up the bigsur drive to a disk image with CCC and then erase and restore from that. might save a step

Feb 4, 2021 9:16 AM in response to mz_teddy

I got so sick of dealing with this, I started to try lots of different ways to figure it out.

What worked was this:

I upgraded to 11.2 and then took a time machine backup.

I then wiped my machine and re installed the OS. I upgraded it to 11.2 and then used migration assistant to bring my data back to the machine. After having to sign into a million pop ups and allow permissions for everything again, i was able to get my machine working as expected.

Finally my mobile account works again.

Feb 10, 2021 11:42 AM in response to scottjking

Have you confirmed this issue did not come back the next time you changed your password? Password changes (made from the system preferences > users & groups panel while bound to AD are what seems to be triggering this for our remote users on Big Sur.

You may have gone through all of that to only have it come back next password change - hopefully not.

Feb 10, 2021 12:44 PM in response to venicejeff

Not sure. We initially saw this on machines that were being set up as replacements, and were upgraded to Big Sur in the process, and the users had changed their AD passwords on their existing machines - so those passwords were changed outside the laptops themselves.

Today, we got a report of an associate who had previously had his laptop in use, and Big Sur was updated while remote. He updated his password via the system preferences, but it still triggered a lockout upon reboot. He would have been on VPN access while working remotely when he changed the password. Anecdotally, another user had done the same, with no issues.

I have also figured out the local admin account + fast user switching trick mentioned above, but that is not feasible for these users, as they are not granted admin access.

big sur - active directory logon without office network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.