Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Purchasing in another country

I am stationed in Italy and want to buy my wife a new IPhone 12. If I purchase it here in Italy, will there be any issues or reasons why it wouldn’t work in the US when I move back?

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 1:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 1:35 PM

If its locked to an italian cellular service provider it will only work with that service provider.

It would need to be unlocked for it to work with American carriers. Make sure it is actually unlocked, and not set to lock to the first carrier used to activate it. Buy it directly from Apple and choose the Sim free option if one is available.

Also note that the warranty will only be valid in the European Union. So if any repairs or replcements are needed once you are in the U.S, you would need to physically take it to a European Apple store for service. Apple will not take international shipments for service.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2020 1:35 PM in response to turbod_94

If its locked to an italian cellular service provider it will only work with that service provider.

It would need to be unlocked for it to work with American carriers. Make sure it is actually unlocked, and not set to lock to the first carrier used to activate it. Buy it directly from Apple and choose the Sim free option if one is available.

Also note that the warranty will only be valid in the European Union. So if any repairs or replcements are needed once you are in the U.S, you would need to physically take it to a European Apple store for service. Apple will not take international shipments for service.

Purchasing in another country

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.