Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Training for Hue/Saturation controls?

1. Recommendation for training for use of Hue/Saturation, etc. in FCPX color correction.
  2. How can I add or subtract a color without it subtracting or adding a complementary color?
  3. Thanks!

Mac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 1:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 10:36 AM

Roughly -

In the color corrector, switch to the Hue/Saturation curves.

In the HUE vs SAT control, use the eyedropper to sample the coloration you want to desaturate.

Adjust downward the control puck that the eyedropper creates to desaturate that particular color.

In this case, desaturating the lavender color that is in the scene:

You can use the pucks that are either side of the color puck to limit or expand the desaturation to include a greater color range affected or lessor color range affected by the control.

MtD

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2020 10:36 AM in response to Duncan Knowles

Roughly -

In the color corrector, switch to the Hue/Saturation curves.

In the HUE vs SAT control, use the eyedropper to sample the coloration you want to desaturate.

Adjust downward the control puck that the eyedropper creates to desaturate that particular color.

In this case, desaturating the lavender color that is in the scene:

You can use the pucks that are either side of the color puck to limit or expand the desaturation to include a greater color range affected or lessor color range affected by the control.

MtD

Dec 1, 2020 2:34 PM in response to Duncan Knowles

You can use the Hue/Saturation effect to desaturate a single hue range (it's actually more accurate than that, but might look blocky).

Apply Hue/Saturation to your clip. Add an Effects Mask > Color Mask. Access the mask from the small rectangle with the circle inside that appears when you mouse over the effect label bar:

Use the eyedropper tool in the Viewer just like you would in Photoshop and click on the problem area. Hold down the shift key if you need to expand the selection (just like you would in PS). Adjust the Saturation.

There are two types of Color Mask: 3D and HSL. I recommend you start with 3D.

You can "smooth" out the selection with the Softness control if using the 3D type color mask.

If you decide to us the HSL type (it is more accurate and *can* produce much more refined results), you adjust the ranges with the top slider controls on the HSL bars and "soften" the ranges with the slider controls under the HSL bars:

They're a little difficult to grab sometimes. As you might be able to tell, you can turn on and off the H, S, and L sliders to set up the control in various ways (like all the same hue regardless of saturation or lightness, or in combinations of your choosing).

You can add **as many** Hue/Saturation effects to a clip as you need and each one can have its own separate color mask. You can also apply and use **as many** Shape Masks as garbage mattes (either limit or add regions to extend the use of the effect) if you need. (You only get one color mask per effect added).

So yes — there is a "photoshop way" of doing this in FCPX. Unfortunately, Hue/Saturation is just one of the very few effects provided with FCP that are useful in this way. There are not a lot of options with the default set of effects. [I've built an entire library of tools designed to work in this way in FCPX and nobody is interested because the tools you get in NLEs is "just how it's done" in video.]

Dec 1, 2020 10:10 AM in response to Meg The Dog

Meg, Thank you for pointing me to Ripple's training. I've made notes on most of it, and it is very helpful.

Do you have an answer to my second question. How do I add to or diminish a specific color cast for a scene without having its complementary/opposite color take its place? In Photoshop you can go to a setting where you can do this. Is there a way in FCPX? Thanks again. Duncan

Training for Hue/Saturation controls?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.