Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur. Finder search does not recognise rtf files

When I search in Finder for text within documents I get no hits for RTF files even though I know some of the contains the word searched for.

Anyone else with similar problems? And a fix maybe?

I have tried to let the Spotlight index rebuild. But that didn't help. Still no hit in rtf files.

I'm on a MacBook Pro M1 with Big Sur. rtf files were created with Nisus Writer Pro.

Regards

Anders

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 1:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 2:05 PM

On my Big Sur installation, with Spotlight Search Results Documents category selected, the following will find all .rtf/.rtfd documents on my Mac, while rejecting .txt documents from the results:

kind:document +.rtf -(.txt)
5 replies

Dec 4, 2020 8:04 AM in response to anilsen

You should be able to locate a text string within .rtf files in a folder by just specifying the unquoted single word, or quoted string containing multiple words punctuated by white-space. I have an .rtf file in a folder that uses Lorem Ipsum Latin filler text. There is a word temperibus in the document:

temperibus

finds that word, and because it is a unique word, even temper finds it.

Big Sur. Finder search does not recognise rtf files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.