Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina Update and Canon Printer MX300

I cannot get my printer to work with the version 10.15.6 of Mac. When I go to add the printer in settings, it says I need the latest software. I've tried to follow steps that are on Canon's website, but even that isn't working. I'm obviously looking in the wrong place/confused. Can someone help? Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 2:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 2:42 PM

Canon has not provided any printer drivers for the PIXMA MX300 since 2017, so these will not work in Catalina. GutenPrint does support the MX300 via their GutenPrint v5.3.3 installation. There is no support for the MX300 in Apple's AirPrint either.

3 replies

Nov 30, 2020 3:10 PM in response to Lesliee_628

You can try the GutenPrint solution, retreat from Catalina to Mojave (no guarantee 2017 drivers will work there either) — only if you have a Time Machine backup of Mojave, or purchase a new printer that explicitly advertises Apple AirPrint support. Printers and scanners have a shelf-life controlled by the vendors. AirPrint support gives you independence from vendors dropping support.

Catalina Update and Canon Printer MX300

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.