Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 SMC reset

I recently received a MacBook Pro which I am doing a little troubleshooting about the length of battery life with and wanted to reset the SMC. Is the procedure the same as for MacBook Pro's with the T2 chip? (left) ctrl + opt + (right) shift - 7 seconds, then add pwr button 7 seconds and release. Also, I was told that there is no NVRAM on these Macs. Is that true?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 2:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2021 12:47 AM

Hello jeffmr4

Thank you for contacting Apple Community

You can’t reset the SMC, because the M1 Mac doesn’t have a System

Management Controller. You can’t manually reset the NVRAM / PRAM because

your Mac does this automatically, if needed, during every startup.

Best regards,

John

17 replies

Feb 18, 2021 12:34 AM in response to OhAngIKnow

I’ve modified some NVRAM settings in my MacBook Air M1, after a reboot, the OS didn’t boot, so the NVRAM settings won’t reset after a reboot, not even after powering it off and keep the lid close for a while, I had to modify again the NVRAM settings using Terminal in the startup options boot mode to get back the OS bootable again.

Edit: First time posting here, didn’t want to reply to you but to the general post, sorry!!

Jan 8, 2021 7:57 PM in response to jeffmr4

I called apple support recently asking how I could reset the nvram on the m1 MacBooks and they told me to press option-command-p-r but I told them that that did not work and I said it might be because I am using a m1 MacBook and they then realise they had made a mistake and thought I was using intel MacBooks and after that, they simply told me that there is no way to reset the nvram on the m1 MacBooks/desktops.

Jan 6, 2021 2:22 PM in response to jeffmr4

I have the new M1 Mac mini and it’s giving me all kinds of problems. I just had a tech-support call and she told me to reset the SMC. I’m not 100% sure the steps (she only said them once and I didn’t immediately write them down) but I think she said shut down the computer then hold control option shift for seven seconds. I did this, and nothing seemed to happen and the computer did not start up as she said it would, so I assumed nothing happened, but she said it doesn’t always start up this way. However, when I did start the computer I was asked to log back into my Adobe creative cloud, so that makes me think something did actually happen. It did not resolve the issue of the computer not recognizing both of my monitors. I’m extremely frustrated with the Mac mini and I’m not sure if I have a lemon or not. I will be speaking to Apple support tomorrow again.

Jan 29, 2021 2:52 PM in response to jeffmr4

jeffmr4 wrote:

M1 SMC reset

I recently received a MacBook Pro which I am doing a little troubleshooting about the length of battery life with and wanted to reset the SMC. Is the procedure the same as for MacBook Pro's with the T2 chip? (left) ctrl + opt + (right) shift - 7 seconds, then add pwr button 7 seconds and release. Also, I was told that there is no NVRAM on these Macs. Is that true?

Thanks in advance.

No—

it is not the same there is no SMC or NVRAM it is all on the M1 SoC.

You give no details on your battery issue to advise further...

ref: My battery runtime is low

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204054#runtime

You can read more—the battery does learn as it goes...

Catalina 10.15.5 introduced "battery health management, " a feature designed to improve the lifespan of your Mac notebook's battery. With the release of the macOS 11.0.1 Big Sur see >System Preferences>Battery

ref: About battery health management in Mac notebooks https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211094

Feb 22, 2021 6:50 AM in response to jeffmr4

jeffmr4 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

I am unclear how the 1 True Recovery (1TR), Recovery Mode is related...

Since the M1 has no SMC—

M1 Macs  similar to a SMC reset by shutting down the computer and leaving it turned off for at least 30 seconds before turning it on again.

If your M1 computer has a problem with the hardware of the kind that can usually be fixed with 'the old SMC reset,' the only solution  is to put the computer in DFU mode and reinstall firmware with Apple Configurator 2 from another Mac. DFU is Device Firmware Update, see Apple’s  ref guide:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/apple-configurator-2/apdd5f3c75ad/mac

M1 SMC reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.