Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail Crash

Hello, Apple Mail keeps crashing on my iMAC running OS X El Capitan. Mail will startup, but once I click on my Apple Mail inbox it crashes. I can send and receive email on my Apple email account. I also have AT&T mail running in Apple Mail and that is working fine. Have tried several of the remedies posted in the community, but no luck. I also tried a restore from backup on folders "com.apple.mail and com.apple.MailServiceAgent", but no luck. Any assistance appreciated.

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 4:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 10:49 AM

Thank you!

The things I would try are some basics. First restarting in Safe Mode per Safe Mode Reset instructions

After the Safe Mode restart, please restart normally and then re-test. If the problem is solved great!

If you still don't have any luck try rebuilding each of your mailboxes in Mail. Instructions are in https://support.apple.com/guide/mail/rebuild-mailboxes-mlhlp1227/mac

If that does not work, please let us know and there are several other things we can attempt.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2020 10:49 AM in response to GeeZ06

Thank you!

The things I would try are some basics. First restarting in Safe Mode per Safe Mode Reset instructions

After the Safe Mode restart, please restart normally and then re-test. If the problem is solved great!

If you still don't have any luck try rebuilding each of your mailboxes in Mail. Instructions are in https://support.apple.com/guide/mail/rebuild-mailboxes-mlhlp1227/mac

If that does not work, please let us know and there are several other things we can attempt.

Dec 2, 2020 3:59 PM in response to GeeZ06

The best antivirus, cleaning app, and overall maintenance app for Mac OS is Mac OS itself. All you need to do with Mac OS to keep it secure and running well is to keep it up-to-date and do periodic (about 1x per week) restarts. Other than that, leave it alone. Adding third party antivirus, cleaning, security and other types of maintenance apps to Mac OS adds no additional level of security. The only thing these apps do is have the opposite affect users want. They make Mac OS slow, unstable, generate odd behavior (much like you are experiencing) and make Mac OS appear buggy.

Please locate the developers uninstall instructions for CleanMyMac and follow to the letter. Then restart in Safe Mode per the directions in Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac and then restart normally.

Dec 1, 2020 10:38 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Hello rkaufmann87, My iMac(24-inch, Early 2009) is running version 10.11.6 El Capitan. Apple Mail version 9.3 (3124). The problem is my Apple Mail app will start fine and stay running. I can use my other internet Yahoo email account just fine. While in the app if I click on my iCloud inbox mail will CRASH almost immediately. The iCloud mail is receiving mail, I just can't get too it. I have tried going to library folder "Library/Containers/com.apple.mail and moving that folder to desktop. Restart, re-launch Mail, but problem still there. Repeated moving Containers/com.apple.MailServiceAgent ,but still no go. I've also tried to a Time Capsule restore of the two Library/Containers files, but that was no help either. Looking at the Community Blog most people have a problem crashing on startup. Mine crashes when I click on the iCloud inbox. The first couple of lines in error message that pops up reads as follows;

Process: Mail [2106]

Path: /Applications/Mail.app/Contents/MacOS/Mail

Identifier: com.apple.mail

Version: 9.3 (3124)

Build Info: Mail-31240000000000000~2

Code Type: X86-64 (Native)

Parent Process: ??? [1]

Responsible: Mail [2106]

User ID: 501

Any assistance appreciated.

Dec 2, 2020 3:52 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Hello rkaufmann87, Did the Safe Mode restart and was able to click on my iCloud mail inbox and unlike before it stayed up for several minutes before crashing again. Restarted mail again while still in Safe Mode and pretty much same results. So rebooted normally and was able to start mail and click on my iCloud inbox ok without crashing. While still running I started the mailbox Rebuild procedure on the iCloud inbox and so far no crashes. YEAH! I think the Safe Mode did something to clear it up, but needed the rebuild to finish it. I also noticed I was almost running out of RAM with only about 1GB remaining of my 8GB. Using the Clean My Mac program was able to clear up 3GBs. Just one other thing I notice in the error messages the first line Process: Mail [xxxx) was always a different number, while everything else the same in the first paragraph of error message. Anyway the combo of Safe Mode and mailbox rebuild seems to have been the fix. Thank-You Much!

Apple Mail Crash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.