Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keynote Won't Save to External Drive

When working in Keynote, it will allow me to save files to my external hard drive initially. But once the file is located in the external drive, Keynote won't save (manually or auto-save) to that location. Instead I get the auto-save error note and a non-specific error message if I try to save manually ("document could not be saved").

If I move the file to my local drive it saves just fine, and I can then move it back where I need it on the external drive within Finder. But when I'm making and editing at least one slideshow per day for each class I teach, that adds up to a lot of unnecessary work.

I'm running Catalina 10.15.7 on a MacBook Pro and Keynote version 10.3.5. I have read and write access on the drive, and the drive is a 2TB WD MyPassport with 1.97TB of space available.

I do not have this saving issue with any other software (I pretty much only use Adobe softwares otherwise).

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 8:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 6:11 AM

How is the drive formatted?

Right click the drive in the sidebar of a Finder window and select Get Info

If it is not formatted as Mac OS Extended, backup all the files on the drive then reformat the drive using Disk Utility located in the Utilities folder:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/disk-utility/dskutl14079/mac

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2020 6:11 AM in response to yourstrulymeghan

How is the drive formatted?

Right click the drive in the sidebar of a Finder window and select Get Info

If it is not formatted as Mac OS Extended, backup all the files on the drive then reformat the drive using Disk Utility located in the Utilities folder:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/disk-utility/dskutl14079/mac

Keynote Won't Save to External Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.