Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro 10.6.0 instantly crashing when opening any plugins.

I recently updated my MacBook Pro to Big Sur and along with that, Logic to the newest patch. Unfortunately, every time I open any plugin, Logic instantly crashes. This happens when trying to add a new plugin to a channel strip, open a preexisting on a previous project, or when opening plugins loaded in along side software instrument patches and their sends. In my previous projects that already are finished, all the plugins work but as you go to open them, it crashes. I have removed and reinstalled all my 3rd party plugins and this did nothing as this still happens with the built in plugins. It definitely isn't hardware related as this is a 2019 MBP 16 with an 8-core i9 and 32 gb of ram.

This is some info from the crash report: *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '*** -[__NSPlaceholderDictionary initWithObjects:forKeys:count:]: attempt to insert nil object from objects[0]'

terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException

abort() called

Anyone having the same problem or with any kind of insight into this issue, your help would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 8:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 8:03 AM

Also you can start with this, and see if all the plugins work.

• Go to Top Menu on left - Logic Pro X/Preferences/Plugin Manager. Once it pops up, press show All, Highlight all Plugins, and at the bottom press Reset & Rescan Selection. Wait for it to complete.
  • You can also save your Key Commands if you have custom made your own. Go to Go to Top Menu on left - Logic Pro X/Key Commands/Edit, then at the top left of the window, press on the Gear Icon, and choose Save As, and save it in the default folder or anywhere you'd like. Then in the same window use import Key commands, and choose where your saved file is.

Hope this helps

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2020 8:03 AM in response to micdim

Also you can start with this, and see if all the plugins work.

• Go to Top Menu on left - Logic Pro X/Preferences/Plugin Manager. Once it pops up, press show All, Highlight all Plugins, and at the bottom press Reset & Rescan Selection. Wait for it to complete.
  • You can also save your Key Commands if you have custom made your own. Go to Go to Top Menu on left - Logic Pro X/Key Commands/Edit, then at the top left of the window, press on the Gear Icon, and choose Save As, and save it in the default folder or anywhere you'd like. Then in the same window use import Key commands, and choose where your saved file is.

Hope this helps

Dec 1, 2020 7:49 AM in response to andrewww-ouellette

There's a few things you can do.

• Go to "StartUpDrive/Users/Library/Preferences" and delete "com.apple.logic10.plist" or any other file that includes "logic and .plist in it's name. Don't forget to Restart you Mac.
  • Use these Logic Start up Short cut keys https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT203231
  • More Apple Logic Trouble Shooting https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200260
  • If all the above does not work then Delete the App, and download it again from the Apple Store

Hope this helps

Nov 30, 2020 9:45 PM in response to andrewww-ouellette

Find the Logic Pro X in the Finder in the Applications folder. Highlight the App, and then press Command I or right click and press Get Info. In the pop up Info window for the App, click on open in Low Resolution (it might be say something else like Rosetta 2 in your version). This will make it compatible with all your current plugins from other developers. Once all your plugins have been updated from the other developers, then you can do the above procedure, and un-check the Low Resolution in the Info window for Logic Pro 10.6. By doing the above procedure Logic 10.6 will run much faster. Remember it will be quite a while before all developers update their plugins.

Hope this helps!

Dec 1, 2020 4:57 AM in response to micdim

Thank you for the tip, seems like that will be very helpful in the future once I can figure out my original problem. Even in low resolution Logic is crashing when opening Apple's own plugins and I am getting the exact same error in the crash report as I was before. It doesn't seem like this is because of any third party compatibility issues.

Dec 1, 2020 8:24 AM in response to micdim

Reinstalling Logic has fixed the problem. Only file I've ever messed with is the MAResourcesMapping.plist to change the color palette ( more on that here: https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=126112 ) but apparently changing that has caused issues with Logic on this update. Time to find a way around that! Thanks for the help.

Logic Pro 10.6.0 instantly crashing when opening any plugins.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.