Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i can not reinstall mac os from recovery mode. is there another way to get an operating system on my old imac

i purchased a new imac to replace my 2008 Imac. I want to pass it on so I erased the hard drive and now cant reinstall os from recovery mode. Mouse wont connect. is there another way to reinstall a os

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 12:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 1:47 PM

Excellent, now you are on the right track.

If you can see the iMac's hard drive, erase and format it GUID Partition Map / Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then go back to the OS X installers and see if you can install Snow Leopard.

If you can not see the iMac's hard drive, then it has failed and needs to be replaced. At that point, I would suggest recycling it and looking for a newer working iMac to give your Granddaughter for Christmas.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2020 1:47 PM in response to gordyb102

Excellent, now you are on the right track.

If you can see the iMac's hard drive, erase and format it GUID Partition Map / Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then go back to the OS X installers and see if you can install Snow Leopard.

If you can not see the iMac's hard drive, then it has failed and needs to be replaced. At that point, I would suggest recycling it and looking for a newer working iMac to give your Granddaughter for Christmas.

Dec 1, 2020 12:15 PM in response to gordyb102

A 2008 has no support due to being close to 15 years old. About the only way it can be re-setup is to include either the original DVDs that it shipped with or to buy a Snow Leopard DVD from E-bay or possibly Amazon. On a machine of that age, please take ti to your local Best Buy who will recycle it for you for free or contact Apple's recycling program.

i can not reinstall mac os from recovery mode. is there another way to get an operating system on my old imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.