Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV losing Air Play connection during video playback

I am using an Apple TV 4th Generation to display content to a digital projector. Until recently, I did not have any issues using Airplay in my current setup. (MBP>Apple TV > Yamaha Receiver> Projector)

The Problem:

• The airplay connection is lost when I pause a youtube video and try to resume playback.

• I have the same issue when trying to play video (on my HD) content embedded in a Keynote presentation.

What I Tried: The software on the ATV is up to date. I have also restarted the ATV and MBP.

I would appreciate any help you could provide, as you can imagine interruptions such as these are the last thing I need in my class right now.

Ian

Apple TV (4th generation)

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 4:46 PM

Similar questions

10 replies

Dec 9, 2020 3:08 PM in response to Andersonian

Andersonian,

Thank you for clarifying. This does help narrow it down. We can try a few steps on your Mac to further isolate the issue.

First, let's attempt to replicate the issue while in safe mode: Start up your Mac in safe mode

Next, attempt to replicate the issue from a new user account: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Let us know the results. Also can you verify which MacBook Pro you have and your current macOS version?

Take care!

Dec 8, 2020 12:19 PM in response to Andersonian

Hello Andersonian,

It sounds like you are experiencing connection issues after pausing a YouTube video. We understand how concerning this is and we're here to help.

You have done some great troubleshooting steps so far. Do you know if there is a firmware update on your Yamaha receiver? You can check here: Firmware and Software

Does the issue persist if you connect directly to the projector? If not, that will isolate the issue down to the receiver itself?

Let us know the results.

Cheers!

Dec 9, 2020 11:04 AM in response to Joseph_S.

Joseph,

Thanks for your reply. After reading your thoughts, I tried to isolate the 3 devices involved to determine which is the weak link.

So, I tried to replicate the issue using my iPad to airplay to the AppleTv. The iPad did not lose connection, everything worked beautifully, sound and video.

So, it seems to me, that the MBP is causing the issue.

More things I tried in the interim.

-chrome vs. safari

-closing down unnecessary apps.

The Apple TV connection is always lost when I initiate new video content. It does not seem to matter if the content is online, or on my HD.

I have the same problem when running video clips in a keynote presentation. These particular keynote video clips are not youtube links, they are on my HD.

Ian

Apple TV losing Air Play connection during video playback

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.