Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brand new iPhone 12 pro max not charging on wireless charger in Ford Expedition

Just recently received my iPhone 12 pro max and got in the car today and put it on the wireless charger in our Ford Expedition. It would not charge and a message came up that something was in the way and the charger had been disabled. It is an issue with the phone as my husbands 11 charged just fine. It will not charge with or without the case on. I did turn off the phone and back on with no change. It is running at the current software of 14.2.1. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 4:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2021 1:30 PM

Some additional information to help you visualize things:

You can see if the coils aren't precisely aligned, charging will not occur.

Note the issue might also be with the charger's foreign object detection; it may have been implemented poorly and may see the MagSafe magnets as "foreign objects."

All Qi chargers need FOD to shut down charging if something like a coin is set between the device and the charger, as the metal foreign object can heat due to the way charging happens.

If this is the case, Ford should be able to correct the issue and issue a firmware update to fix it; obviously most third party stand chargers that are incompatible can't be reprogrammed and that may be another reason vendors like Belkin state "we never claimed our stand that was released before the iPhone 12 even existed was compatible with the iPhone 12, so it's not."

Note there's also a negotiation capability a charger may implement called FOD extensions that allow the charger and device to discuss whether a foreign object is present or not; I suspect the Ford charger and other stand chargers do not implement this, so this is another way in which it could be due to a failure in FOD.

Really, this would take less than a day for Ford to sort out definitively if they really wanted to.

Likewise if some enterprising YouTuber wanted to disassemble the Qi tray from an F-250 and make it a large flat surface and find out whether there is an alignment that would allow charging, that would also definitively answer the question.

70 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2021 1:30 PM in response to Dogcow-Moof

Some additional information to help you visualize things:

You can see if the coils aren't precisely aligned, charging will not occur.

Note the issue might also be with the charger's foreign object detection; it may have been implemented poorly and may see the MagSafe magnets as "foreign objects."

All Qi chargers need FOD to shut down charging if something like a coin is set between the device and the charger, as the metal foreign object can heat due to the way charging happens.

If this is the case, Ford should be able to correct the issue and issue a firmware update to fix it; obviously most third party stand chargers that are incompatible can't be reprogrammed and that may be another reason vendors like Belkin state "we never claimed our stand that was released before the iPhone 12 even existed was compatible with the iPhone 12, so it's not."

Note there's also a negotiation capability a charger may implement called FOD extensions that allow the charger and device to discuss whether a foreign object is present or not; I suspect the Ford charger and other stand chargers do not implement this, so this is another way in which it could be due to a failure in FOD.

Really, this would take less than a day for Ford to sort out definitively if they really wanted to.

Likewise if some enterprising YouTuber wanted to disassemble the Qi tray from an F-250 and make it a large flat surface and find out whether there is an alignment that would allow charging, that would also definitively answer the question.

Dec 3, 2020 7:50 AM in response to posborne85

I have same issue. Talked to ATT- they said call Apple they said call Ford. Ford is clueless. Apple supposed to get back to me and didn't. Called them back and awaiting a solution or the phone goes back. I had an 11 that charged fine. The problem I see is safety- as every 30 seconds that is disconnects form charging your screen in the car is blocked until you clear it so you are looking away form the road every 30 seconds. I had the apple MagSafe cover and it made it worse. I have no cover now and even try to line it up with the charger( Using a piece of dole rod below it)- still having issues. Im giving apple 1 more day then I return the phone.

Feb 9, 2021 2:15 PM in response to posborne85

I live in the Uk and work for a Ford dealership, I have the same problem with my iPhone 12 Pro Max running 14.5 Beta now! I drive lots of New Ford vehicles day in day out and test this every time! On the sync screen I get a message saying 'the charging is terminated ', I really don't think this is Ford problem as I have my Ford Focus 2020 looked at! Any other iPhone 11 below and Samsung devices all work fine! Apple please can you look into your software on these iPhones 12's, as Ford customers are getting concerned now!

Feb 9, 2021 4:24 PM in response to deggie

Unfortunately, I agree there is no reason it shouldn’t work but the sad reality is that it doesn’t work. I’m happy to post pics or video, but I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max work phone and it charges no issues, the 12 pro, on the same wireless charger, gets the error inside my 2021 Ford F-150. Apples reluctance to admit this issue or try and fix it is annoying.

Feb 9, 2021 4:49 PM in response to bmwbow

As long as they are truly Qi compatible they will work. I haven't found a wireless charger that doesn't work on mine. I do admit there are a number of sketchy older Qi chargers out there that claimed to be Qi compatible but actually weren't. Same issue arises with some early "Qi" chargers in GM vehicles.

Feb 21, 2021 5:47 PM in response to posborne85

Have a 2020 Ford Expedition, and just received an iPhone 12 Pro Max. It will not charge on the wireless charging pad. I receive a message on my car monitor every fee minutes stating ‘“phone misaligned or object between phone and charger detected. Correct the condition to resume charging”. It is flush on the charger without a case. Please help.

Apr 29, 2021 5:06 AM in response to DC3843

I have exactly the same problem with my iphone 12 pro and my new Ford Puma. It's so annoying that either Apple or Ford cant address the issue of the wireless charge terminating. I have tested my phone or various other wireless chargers some in cars and it works without any problems so it suggest that the problem is with Ford. My car is booked in but I'm not very optoemistic that Ford will fix this.

Considering the iPhones with MagSafe chargers are not exactly new any teething problems with Apple and Ford should have all been sorted.

Apple and Ford pull your finger out and find a solution.

Apr 29, 2021 6:25 AM in response to CJJ74

CJJ74 wrote:

Considering the iPhones with MagSafe chargers are not exactly new any teething problems with Apple and Ford should have all been sorted.

Not to interrupt a good rant, but MagSafe is new, it only became available last November, a mere five months ago where the Fords in question were designed and put into production years ago.

Also, it’s Ford that made (bad) assumptions as to where the Qi coil would be on future iPhones.

Brand new iPhone 12 pro max not charging on wireless charger in Ford Expedition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.