Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomeKit notification from motion sensor

I have a couple of Hue motion sensors in my home. Through HomeKit I’ve set them up to notify me when there is motion detected while I’m not at home. But I sometimes get these notifications even while I’m at home, and lately it has happened more frequently. My other location dependent settings in HomeKit are working fine, including notifications from other sensors not from Hue. I wonder what is wrong, if there’s any way to troubleshoot this and who I should talk to about it, Apple or Phillips. 

iPhone 5s, iOS 12

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 3:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2021 1:46 AM

Sometime ago I realised that I hadn’t tried the easiest and perhaps most obvious solution, which was to restart my Apple TV, which acts as the main HomeKit hub. Since then I’ve not had this problem. Regarding the triggering problem, I’ve found it to be more reliable when I set it up using the Hue application instead of using automations in the Home application.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2021 1:46 AM in response to PeterFitch

Sometime ago I realised that I hadn’t tried the easiest and perhaps most obvious solution, which was to restart my Apple TV, which acts as the main HomeKit hub. Since then I’ve not had this problem. Regarding the triggering problem, I’ve found it to be more reliable when I set it up using the Hue application instead of using automations in the Home application.

Dec 8, 2020 1:11 PM in response to Knut Harald Støre

Hi there, Knut Harald Støre.

It appears that you're having a problem with Hue motion sensors set up in the HomeKit to notify you when there's motion detected when you're gone. The problem is, you're getting those notifications when you're home, and we're glad to help with this.

Create home automations with the Home app - Apple Support  -- After following the steps under "Here's what you need", check the automation to make sure everything is set up correctly.

Get notifications for your HomeKit accessories - Apple Support -- Then, review the information in this article to make sure that notifications have been set up correctly.

Feel free to get back to us with any questions or problems you may have.

Take care.

Dec 8, 2020 1:23 PM in response to SnickZ.

Thank you for reaching out. Everything is set up correctly. It’s a notification, not an automation, so the second support document applies. I’ve looked through it, and I see nothing new that I didn’t know before. This doesn’t happen all the time, but usually at least once a day. I have tried restarting the accessory by removing the battery, removing it from HomeKit, resetting it and adding it back in. It looks to me like a bug in HomeKit where it sometimes doesn’t know that I’m home. But other location related parts of HomeKit do work.

Jan 2, 2021 10:56 AM in response to Knut Harald Støre

Hi, any news? I also have a Hue Motion Sensor and it is acting up for me for the last 2 months or so. Also replaced the battery and reset the device...nothing helped apparently. I am also getting wrong notifications when I am home, although I set it up correctly to only be notified when nobody is home. Same for my partner. Sometimes it doesn‘t trigger the lights although it did before a few minutes ago. It worked perfectly for roughly 2 years for me, but lately it is a mess.

HomeKit notification from motion sensor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.