Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reset Aspect Ratio in iMovie 10

I have been using iMovie for some time but now I need to work with a different aspect ratio -the old 4:3 ratio. I digitized some old family movies that were on VHS in this ratio. When I open iMovie I don't seem to get a choice. Anyone know how to do this. Seems fairly basic but I can't find a way. I'm working with Big Sur.

Thanks

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 3:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 4:05 PM

Hi, Petedr,

The 16:9 aspect ratio of iMovie's screen cannot be changed. A 4:3 video will display with black bars to make it fit the 16:9 screen. You can crop a 4:3 video to fit the screen, but that would mean loss of some of the image.

Here's an online help link that explains the process:

https://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/#/mova56757e7e

Other than cropping or living with the black bars, another way to handle this is to export your 4:3 video from iMovie to your desktop. Then use the Control-Shift-5 feature to display a control bar at the bottom of your screen where you can select to record an outlined portion of your video as it is playing, to eliminate the black bars.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2020 4:05 PM in response to Petedr

Hi, Petedr,

The 16:9 aspect ratio of iMovie's screen cannot be changed. A 4:3 video will display with black bars to make it fit the 16:9 screen. You can crop a 4:3 video to fit the screen, but that would mean loss of some of the image.

Here's an online help link that explains the process:

https://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/#/mova56757e7e

Other than cropping or living with the black bars, another way to handle this is to export your 4:3 video from iMovie to your desktop. Then use the Control-Shift-5 feature to display a control bar at the bottom of your screen where you can select to record an outlined portion of your video as it is playing, to eliminate the black bars.

-- Rich

Reset Aspect Ratio in iMovie 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.