Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t access Photo Albums when commenting on Facebook App

I have an iPhone SE 2020 and am running the iOS 14.2.

When replying to a comment on Facebook, I now do not have the option of selecting any other album, apart from recent photos/camera roll.

Is there a way to change settings, or work some kind of wizardry to be able to get this back?

It’s really frustrating not being able to select and album and being expected to scroll through months of photos to dine the perfect reaction meme!

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 4:34 PM

49 replies

Feb 17, 2021 8:15 AM in response to ChubbyGunt

Notice the two options that can come up when posting a comment. If the camera/photo icon is on the far left, you won't have the Photo Album option, you will only have the Camera Roll option. If the camera/photo icon is to the right of the place to enter text, you will have the Photo Album option. Interesting that both choices can occur without rhyme or reason!

Feb 17, 2021 8:28 AM in response to OrlandoZig

To make a new comment, don't click the comment button! If you see the text box for commenting is already open, and the camera/photo icon is inside that text box, on the right side, that means you will have the option to see Photo Albums if you want to insert photo! I noticed if you click the "comment" button first, that icon moves to the far left (outside of the comment box) and that leaves you with only the Camera Roll option! I also noticed that I cannot see the camera/photo icon inside the text box when I reply to a reply. So, it is best to start a fresh comment and simply refer to a previous comment if necessary. At least you will have the option to view your Photo Albums if you want to insert a photo!

Jan 9, 2021 1:44 PM in response to SnickZ.

No, hasn’t helped. And others have commented that it’s not just me with this issue.

I have included a screenshot of what I have access to when I want to post a photo on Facebook. As you can see - it’s just the camera roll. Facebook has access to all my photos (I confirmed settings) but I cannot access my folders to find photos that are older without scrolling through YEARS of photos!

Dec 9, 2020 7:02 AM in response to ChubbyGunt

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, ChubbyGunt.

If we understand your post correctly, you are only able to access a limited number of photos from your iPhone when you are using the FaceBook app. We’d like to help.

Tap Settings > FaceBook > Photos to select which photos FaceBook can access. Keep in mind that if you choose Selected Photos you will need to specify which photos or albums FaceBook can access.

Let us know if that resolves this issue for you.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Jan 6, 2021 8:44 AM in response to SnickZ.

I have this same problem. When trying to add a photo to a comment you have access to all your photos. What you don't have access to are the photos that you have put in an album. For example today someone wanted to look at a craft project I had done. I did this 3 years ago. I have it in an album called projects so I can find it quickly. Now I can't access that folder. I am not going to flip thru 3 years of photos to find it. Something changed within the last 2 months or so because I used to be able to do that. I did what you suggested and and FaceBook has access to all my photos. What else can we do? Obviously I'm not the only one with this problem. I have an iPhone 7 with ios 14.2

Jan 9, 2021 10:11 AM in response to SnickZ.

I have been experiencing the same issue as the original poster. When commenting on a post on the Facebook app, and trying to post a photo I only have access to the Camera Roll and can no longer see the option of looking through my photo Albums. When the photo I want to post is years old it is rather bothersome to have to scroll through thousands of photos in the Camera Roll when I could easily click on the Album that I have it in. I have looked in Facebook Help for the same question and have found no answer.

Jan 14, 2021 8:22 PM in response to WonderWomanWendy

I’ve been noticing the issue too, I’ve just done the latest update in the hopes that it would fix it but it hasn’t !

Am now sick of going out reply to someone have having to scroll through months/years of pictures trying to roughly guess what month of what year I want and remember what other photos were around that time to find it !

Massive bug ! Not sure if it’s Apple/IOS version or if it’s the Facebook App that’s at fault but it’s bloody annoying !

Feb 4, 2021 1:33 AM in response to SnickZ.

This doesn’t help or answer the question asked. It’s not that I can’t see all the photos, it’s that I can only the see main camera

roll with all the pictures and can’t select a picture from any other album, this only happens when I am commenting on someone’s post and want to select a picture from my “favourites” album, there’s no drop down for me to change the album. However when I post a picture to my own Facebook wall I see a drop down that allows me to choose a picture from any album on my phone.

Feb 5, 2021 12:41 PM in response to tommilc

I have updated my software to 14.4 and it still doesn't work. It works when adding a "comment" under a Facebook Post, but doesn't work if you're adding a "reply" to a specific person under a Facebook post. Still can't select a pic from an Album, I can only see my full camera roll, there's no drop down to select anything else.

Feb 13, 2021 4:24 PM in response to Skulle

Same exact thing for me. I couldn’t see albums when commenting. I could only see my camera roll which has 6000 photos. I’m not scrolling back three years to find a photo. This problem was resolved when I went to settings/Facebook/photos and changed the setting to allow all photos. I had to do it twice and I can now see “albums” when posting a photo as a comment.

Feb 15, 2021 3:20 PM in response to Harpie1980

The problem occurs when trying to make a comment and add a photo. It just started recently. My settings allow access to all photos for Facebook, yet rarely does the opportunity exist to see any of my albums! I can only see the "Camera Roll" to find a photo! I used to see the drop down arrow to browse all albums. With 6000 photos on my phone, I can't quickly scroll back to find my favorite photos! That is why I keep them in albums! On a few occasions, I can see a dropdown arrow and then I can browse to another album to quickly locate my photos. But most of the time, I can only see the "Camera Roll" option. This is super annoying!

Can’t access Photo Albums when commenting on Facebook App

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.