Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I mirror via airplay my iMac screen to Apple TV 4K in 4K quality?

Hey!

So, as topic says, can I mirror/extend my iMac screen to Apple TV 4K via AirPlay in 4K quality?

iMac 27″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 11:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2020 4:41 AM

AirPlay Screen Mirroring and Separate Display sends out in 1080p.

If you use the new (August 2019 or later) USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter or Belkin USB-C to HDMI Adapter, then you can output directly to a 4K TV over HDMI 2.0 in 4K (60 Hz RGB SDR or 50 Hz RGB HDR10 (iMac 2020)), skipping the Apple TV box.

For movie playback, you would be better off using in-app ‘basic AirPlay’, or Home Sharing from Apple, or third party client-server solutions, instead of mirroring/extending.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2020 4:41 AM in response to Bionix

AirPlay Screen Mirroring and Separate Display sends out in 1080p.

If you use the new (August 2019 or later) USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter or Belkin USB-C to HDMI Adapter, then you can output directly to a 4K TV over HDMI 2.0 in 4K (60 Hz RGB SDR or 50 Hz RGB HDR10 (iMac 2020)), skipping the Apple TV box.

For movie playback, you would be better off using in-app ‘basic AirPlay’, or Home Sharing from Apple, or third party client-server solutions, instead of mirroring/extending.

Can I mirror via airplay my iMac screen to Apple TV 4K in 4K quality?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.