Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

select an odd page section breaks in Pages for Mac

I'm formatting my book for printing using a book template. There are examples on how to add an odd page section break in MS Word but not in Pages. Does anyone know how to select this option? The reason I need to force an odd page section break is because new chapters always start on the right within a print book. The right is always an odd page. It just seems to be a convention. Thanks.

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 11:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2020 4:40 AM

The only thing that Pages has in common with MS Word is that it can open (translate), and export (translate) Word documents. Apple never designed Pages to compete with, or in any way, adopt MS Word features.

That said, Pages has no automatic feature to add an odd page section break. You will soon realize why using MS Word would have provided time saving features.

Has your printer stated what input document formats that they accept, and in particular, is it a PDF/A, or PDF/X-3 standard? If they tell you the latter, then neither Pages, nor Apple's underlying PDF framework can create them. In that case, you will need an authoring package that provides its own PDF library that supports these specialty PDF standards.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2020 4:40 AM in response to kea11

The only thing that Pages has in common with MS Word is that it can open (translate), and export (translate) Word documents. Apple never designed Pages to compete with, or in any way, adopt MS Word features.

That said, Pages has no automatic feature to add an odd page section break. You will soon realize why using MS Word would have provided time saving features.

Has your printer stated what input document formats that they accept, and in particular, is it a PDF/A, or PDF/X-3 standard? If they tell you the latter, then neither Pages, nor Apple's underlying PDF framework can create them. In that case, you will need an authoring package that provides its own PDF library that supports these specialty PDF standards.

select an odd page section breaks in Pages for Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.