Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an external hard drive (My passport for Mac), for storage. Since I updated to Big Sur I can not open the external hard drive anymore. What can I do about it ?? I am a teacher and my courses are stored on that drive..

I have an external hard drive (My passport for Mac), for storage. Since I updated to Big Sur I can not open the external hard drive anymore on my Mac Book Pro. What can I do about it ?? I am a teacher and my courses are stored on that drive..

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 3, 2020 11:35 AM

5 replies

Dec 9, 2020 3:51 PM in response to MisterFaust

To add to Leanne's suggestions. Launch Disk utility and see if the drive shows in the sidebar on the left. If it does then select it from the side bar the rest of the window should show you information about the drive. Let us know what the partition map is. And if you have selected one of the logical drives (image below is an external drive split into two logical drives that show up on my computer as individual drives.

I hope this helps.

Paul

Dec 9, 2020 3:39 PM in response to MisterFaust

Hello MisterFaust,

Since no one has answered your question yet, please provide a couple things that might help others answer this question:

1- Do you receive an error when you try to open the external drive?

2- What's the error, or what happens when you try to open the external drive?

3- Have you tried to see if any other user account on the Mac able to open the external drive?

4- Have you performed any steps to try to resolve this issue?

We look forward to your response.

Take Care.

Dec 10, 2020 5:31 AM in response to MisterFaust

MisterFaust wrote:

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I contacted WD and they sent me a link and I needed to install a new driver. My harddrive is password protected and when I wanted to open the drive it was asking for my password all the time and I got stuck there. After installing the updated driver it works again.

Good computing MisterFaust—

Thanks for the follow up post— sound like you solved the problem

I have an external hard drive (My passport for Mac), for storage. Since I updated to Big Sur I can not open the external hard drive anymore. What can I do about it ?? I am a teacher and my courses are stored on that drive..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.