Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music

How do I keep my music on my mac (not the icloud) if I use Apple Music? When I had Apple Music before, my music kept being uploaded to the cloud. I want my downloaded to stay on my mac, phone, watch, etc. to listen offline.

iMac Pro

Posted on Dec 3, 2020 12:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2020 6:30 PM

gary1563 Said:

Avoid Using Them by Downloading them:

So Apple Music is going to move the 14K songs I have on my hard drive to the cloud, then I need to re-download them from the cloud?

Yes. That’s the way it is. Maybe download 100 a day. It would take a month and a half, but as you download them, export them as a backup to an external drive. When needed, import them.

Once there Removed - There Gone:

In case I cancel later, does Apple Music remember which songs I had before I joined the service?

Yes. Apple would remember them. But, once removed from the library, they no longer become accessible again. And that is exactly why you would download them. If you don’t download then, then once they are gone from the iTunes Store Library they are gone, and never become accessible again, unless you have a backup of them to restore them from.. So, download them, that way you can play them.

This All Come Down to Licensing:

The action of them being deleted all has to do with licensing between Apple and the Music Studio or Motion Picture Studio.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 4, 2020 6:30 PM in response to gary1563

gary1563 Said:

Avoid Using Them by Downloading them:

So Apple Music is going to move the 14K songs I have on my hard drive to the cloud, then I need to re-download them from the cloud?

Yes. That’s the way it is. Maybe download 100 a day. It would take a month and a half, but as you download them, export them as a backup to an external drive. When needed, import them.

Once there Removed - There Gone:

In case I cancel later, does Apple Music remember which songs I had before I joined the service?

Yes. Apple would remember them. But, once removed from the library, they no longer become accessible again. And that is exactly why you would download them. If you don’t download then, then once they are gone from the iTunes Store Library they are gone, and never become accessible again, unless you have a backup of them to restore them from.. So, download them, that way you can play them.

This All Come Down to Licensing:

The action of them being deleted all has to do with licensing between Apple and the Music Studio or Motion Picture Studio.

Dec 3, 2020 1:07 PM in response to gary1563

gary1563 Said:

Apple Music: How do I keep my music on my mac (not the icloud) if I use Apple Music? When I had Apple Music before, my music kept being uploaded to the cloud. I want my downloaded to stay on my mac, phone, watch, etc. to listen offline.

———-

Items Must be Downloaded:

You would need to download each item - one song, or album, or playlist at a time. Click the cloud with down arrow, to download it. To find these in the Music app, you would click Library, found on the left side of Music window.

Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.