Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will Big Sur have a compatible release for iMac late 2012 models???

I have a 27" iMac Late 2012 model.....the specs require iMac late 2014 and newer....will Big Sur ever be available for my iMac?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 3, 2020 3:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2020 7:41 PM

Catalina should get updates (at least security updates) for two more years.

I wouldn't be too sure you won't be able to download new apps. I'm not aware of anything like 32-bit support that will obsolete apps right away.

In a couple of years you will have gotten 9 years out of your iMac which is a pretty good lifespan. Heck, even 7 years is awfully good.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2020 7:41 PM in response to djdicetn

Catalina should get updates (at least security updates) for two more years.

I wouldn't be too sure you won't be able to download new apps. I'm not aware of anything like 32-bit support that will obsolete apps right away.

In a couple of years you will have gotten 9 years out of your iMac which is a pretty good lifespan. Heck, even 7 years is awfully good.

Dec 3, 2020 7:31 PM in response to Paul Conaway

That kinda stinks.....I bought my iMac when I retired in 2013 thinking it would be the LAST computer I would ever have to buy:0(

I definitely cannot afford another 27" iMac on Social Security and my pensions.I didn't mind so much when Apple turned my Generation 1 iPad into a doorstop only supporting IOS 5.1 but looks like I will be "limping along" using OS X Catalina and probably unable to purchase/download ANY new apps. Apple should re-think abandoning support of ANY of their devices....or making the new operating systems unavailable. Sounds too much like what Bill Gates & Windows would do to you:0(

Dec 3, 2020 9:31 PM in response to t.moe

That gives me a little bit of warm & fuzzy......yeah, the 32-bit stuff needed to go to take advantage of OS X and OS X apps are a little different than IOS(IOS devices' architecture changes quite frequently) so I should be OK. Your right, though, I would have gone through 3 Microsoft Windows computers by now:0(

JFG....I can still run 32-bit Windows 7 using VMWare Fusion which is a 64-bit virtual machine app but mainly use it as a PLEX server and nothing else. I will still be able to use this iMac for many years to come for my computing needs....once you go Apple.......you'll NEVER go back to Microsoft!!!!!!!

Thanks to all for the info & feedback!!!

Will Big Sur have a compatible release for iMac late 2012 models???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.