Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 Pro Max and 12 Pro screen scratches in the 1st week

what is up with the "ceramic" screens, my wife and in both have scratches on the screen and the phones are not 1 week old, for cost of the phones the screen should be made of tougher stuff than this.

What can be done can e we ask the phones be replaced?

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Dec 4, 2020 5:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2020 9:22 AM

I have had this same issue after 3 days of light gentle use. Apple Support says it is not covered by workmanship warranty and that I should pay for a screen replacement. With Apple care it is $249 plus $39 plus taxes, without Apple Care it is $439.

There needs to be a warning about how easily the screen scratches. This is my 4th iphone since the 4s and I've never had a scratch before in years of use...3 days and it is scratched. Extremely disappointed. This could be my last Iphone purchase.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 4, 2020 9:22 AM in response to Bob_H

I have had this same issue after 3 days of light gentle use. Apple Support says it is not covered by workmanship warranty and that I should pay for a screen replacement. With Apple care it is $249 plus $39 plus taxes, without Apple Care it is $439.

There needs to be a warning about how easily the screen scratches. This is my 4th iphone since the 4s and I've never had a scratch before in years of use...3 days and it is scratched. Extremely disappointed. This could be my last Iphone purchase.

Dec 4, 2020 7:31 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk

I have a feeling they might since we have 14 days to return or exchange. The point of this is to point out the lack of quality in the screens, Apple should provide relief with free screen protectors or replacement phones.

These are not $300 Android phones, at $1200+ for these phones I would expect Apple to let people know they are purchasing a phone that requires a screen protector or better yet make a better screen. These are the most expensive phones anywhere it is inexcusable to sell sub-standard screens.

Dec 4, 2020 12:52 PM in response to Bob_H

People have been complaining for years. Apple sells screen protectors for this very reason. Apple typically will NOT replace your phone for cosmetic reasons when you could have invested just a few dollars to install a screen protector.

The simple reason for the phones being easier to scratch is they are now 4 time less likely to break in a fall. The physics of glass is glass which is harder to shatter in a fall is easier to scratch. In years past, people were highly agitated to learn it would cost hundreds of dollars to replace a shattered screen. A screen protector is significantly less expensive and can be replaced easily if it is scratched.

iPhone 11 last year scratched at Mohs level 6, whereas iPhone 12 scratches closer to Mohs level 7. Still, glass is glass. If you want to protect it, you put a screen protector on it. Over the last few generations of phones, a screen protectors has been installed on my phones before they were even powered on.

While this article is from 2018, it still applies today --> The Verge

And this about iPhone 11 --> Why is my iPhone 11 getting scratches?

Dec 4, 2020 2:08 PM in response to lobsterghost1

I don’t disagree with your assessment that does not however let Apple off the hook for not informing purchasers that the screen will scratch easily and a screen protector is needed or better yet ship with a screen protector in place. Beats having a lot of complaints or if enough people feel compelled file a class action since Apple is aware of this issue and did nothing to inform the end user from the issue Just my opinion one of the worlds most successful and wealthy corporations should be more atune to the folks that made them who and what they are today. I carried the iPhone 10 for 3 years never a scratch or scrape. This phone less than a week and it looks like it’s been walked on in a gravel pit. Less breakable does not always mean softer.

Dec 4, 2020 2:25 PM in response to Bob_H

If your iPhone X never got a scratch, count yourself very lucky. I work with a guy in my office who's iPhone X looks like it went through a sand box with major scratches all over the screen.

Since Apple has consistently sold screen protectors with EVERY iPhone since they were ever released, they leave it up to the customer to decide how important it is to them to have a blemish free screen. With the latest generation Samsung phones, they come with cheap plastic screen protectors pre-installed. I'd rip that junk off my phone and put on a proper screen protector on and you can be assured the cost of the protector is built into the price of the phone, which I'd throw away in favor of something higher quality.

I think you meant to say less breakable does not mean harder. The glass is softer, which is what is required for glass to be less prone to shattering.

Bottom line is to put a screen protector on your phone even if there are scratches on it. It will protect the phone from more scratches and can actually hide scratches you've already gotten.

Dec 4, 2020 5:57 PM in response to lobsterghost1

We aren't going to agree on this, Apple is remiss on not pre installing screen protection and warning customers the screen is less like to break but will scratch, We have installed a Screen protector, you can remove at you own peril. the price of screen replacement is nearly $400 this too is obscene!

Again these are not $300 phones.

Never the less if enough people like me feel "cheated" we can pursue other relief. if you have had your phone less than 14 days you can return it and get a replacement.

iPhone 12 Pro Max and 12 Pro screen scratches in the 1st week

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.