Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File icons randomly changing to Apple Music Album Artwork?

See attached photo. I have a text document and two PDFs but the icons have randomly become Album Artwork from Apple Music. This has happened randomly to a lot of files on my computer. Any advice on how this happened and how to undo it? Opening the files does not fix the issue...

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 4, 2020 6:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2020 6:54 AM

This was finally solved by calling. Unfortunately the workaround was tedious but it did work. By duplicating each file affected, dragging the file out of the folder, then renaming it and dragging it back, it would replace the file with the incorrect icon.

5 replies

Dec 10, 2020 8:27 AM in response to JakeRogue

Hello JakeRogue,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

We understand that some file icons are randomly changing to Apple Music album artwork . We're happy to help!

Let's try an SMC reset. 

How to reset the SMC of your Mac

You may also want to try an NVRAM reset. 

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

If you're still experiencing the issue after performing the above tasks, then let's try Safe Mode. 

How to use safe mode on your Mac

Let us know if that worked for you.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care!

Dec 10, 2020 8:57 AM in response to JakeRogue

JakeRogue wrote:

See attached photo. I have a text document and two PDFs but the icons have randomly become Album Artwork from Apple Music. This has happened randomly to a lot of files on my computer. Any advice on how this happened and how to undo it? Opening the files does not fix the issue...
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/9dba654d-897c-4133-9746-f3b5e3ac9860

You can file a bug report here—Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

File icons randomly changing to Apple Music Album Artwork?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.