Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 Macbook air external display issues with usb-c

My M1 MacBook air is having issue when connecting to my 4k Asus pa279cv display over usb-c to usb-c cable directly to the usb-c DisplayPort, but it is okay when connecting to HDMI port with usb-c hub.

The monitor supports 65w and DisplayPort 1.2 and it should be fine as I tested it with with 2016 MacBook Pro 13" and 2020 Intel MacBook air.

So I start to guess it would be the m1 issue and I reserved Genius Bar to fix my computer.

However it just fine when plugin to the LG 5k Display in the apple store.

After that, I tested it again at home.

I notice that it pops up a message "Unplug the accessory using too much power to re-enable USB devices", but my monitor is charging up the Mac properly.

Lastly, I found that it is occasionally work with the usb-c to usb-c cable to the monitor.

And it could not connect again when the the Mac disconnected with the monitor.

I am frustrated with the situation, and my Mac just arrived serval days.

MacBook Air

Posted on Dec 4, 2020 7:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 1:24 AM

Exactly the same situation with you, and probably I could help you.

I just bought a brand new m1 MacBook Air and Asus PA279CV. At first, I found the same issue with you in which when I plugged in the usb-c cable to the MacBook, the monitor showed nothing, but it could charge my MacBook. Then I found that, if you shut down your MacBook, then plug in the usb-C cable, then open you MacBook, and you will find the monitor works properly (showing the visual and charging your MacBook at the same time). I don't know why it has to close the MacBook first before plugging in the cable (it is quite not convenient when you are working and want to plug in the cable to continue your job at external monitor), but it is the solution that I can find at this moment.

Hope it helps.

66 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2020 1:24 AM in response to Alfredmm1

Exactly the same situation with you, and probably I could help you.

I just bought a brand new m1 MacBook Air and Asus PA279CV. At first, I found the same issue with you in which when I plugged in the usb-c cable to the MacBook, the monitor showed nothing, but it could charge my MacBook. Then I found that, if you shut down your MacBook, then plug in the usb-C cable, then open you MacBook, and you will find the monitor works properly (showing the visual and charging your MacBook at the same time). I don't know why it has to close the MacBook first before plugging in the cable (it is quite not convenient when you are working and want to plug in the cable to continue your job at external monitor), but it is the solution that I can find at this moment.

Hope it helps.

May 14, 2021 7:59 AM in response to sparrowhawk360

Hey sparrowhawk360,

Initially, I just ran the monitor firmware update (PA279CVFWUpdateToolV019) and everything worked fine. Since I had the Hub firmware update (PA279CVHubPDFWupdateforMacOS) handy I ran it as well so that it's all up to date. When I ran the Hub firmware it didn't recognize the USB C connection. After a brief freak-out, reboot, trying to re-run the monitor firmware update (which didn't work because it was already updated) and few on/off it resolved itself and is now working fine.

Note that the most recent firmware update is v019: https://www.asus.com/us/Displays-Desktops/Monitors/ProArt/ProArt-Display-PA279CV/HelpDesk_Download/

Dec 10, 2020 8:56 AM in response to Alfredmm1

Hi Alfredmm1,

Thanks for reaching out here in the Apple Support Communities. Congratulations on your new Mac!

We know it's important for your external monitor to work reliably and we're glad to help.

Check out this article for more information about the alert you're getting:

If a Mac accessory needs more power or is using too much power - Apple Support

Since this worked fine at the Genius Bar, isolate what might be happening in your setup by checking power sources, cables, and peripheral components, to try to see what's causing the issue.

Take Care.

Aug 20, 2021 7:00 AM in response to mlorin

So it seems it's not only me who is having issues with M1 MacBook and USB-C. In my case USB hub in external monitor doesn't work if I start my MacBook with USB-C cable already connected (this concerns normal startup or rebooting, fortunately after waking up from sleep USB hub works fine). Whole thread if anyone is interested: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253057841?page=1

Dec 30, 2020 10:06 AM in response to Alfredmm1

Hello! I just got a M1 Air 16gb RAM and 1TB HDD before Christmas. Was so happy. Unfortunately, i'm unable to get a proper resolution with my external display (Acer CB342CK 34 inch). I called their technical support. After 1 hour and three representatives, I asked a way to write and send my problem because they weren't understanding what I was talking about. One of them told me that the Air M1 doesn't support 3440 x 1440 at 60hz. Really?

The result of my tests. I have two different docks and they both work well with my windows PC or my cell phone. This is different with the new Air M1.

With dock #1 : 

• Windows - I get a resolution of 3440 x 1440 at 60 hz :

• Mac - I get a resolution of 3440 x 1440 at 30 hz (stable) :

With dock #2 :

• Windows - I get a resolution of 3440 x 1440 at 60 hz :

• Mac - I’m unable to get the external display to work. After several tries, I got once 3440 x 1440 at 75 hz which is pretty well (see image). Unfortunately, I was unable to get it twice. The Mac is searching continually until I unplug the display, so don’t work. 

So, what I will do? I'm waiting until January, but it seems I will return it if I don't get any feedback for a solution.

Jan 6, 2021 6:46 AM in response to Alfredmm1

I'm having the exact issue here and I'm using ASUS PA279CV as well.

But my device is a MacBook Pro 16", it seems INTEL MacBook could also have this issue?

I also got the message "Unplug the accessory using too much power to re-enable USB devices".

I've done some tests:

• Plug-in the 90 watts power adapter , my MacBook Pro 16" works just fine.
  • Unplug the 90 watts power adapter, keep USB-C connected, my MacBook Pro 16" will also works properly until disconnect the USB-C cable .
  • As hotinyip suggested, shut down, plugin USB-C cable, open the lid, works fine.

I'm totally confused.

Feb 12, 2021 2:20 PM in response to Alfredmm1

Hello everyone,

I had a 27 inch thunderbolt from 2017 which i wanted to be my main screen for my new setup with M1 chip. I recently purchased a macbook air M1 and thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 from apple. To my surprise, M1 air did not detect the thunderbolt display at all.

Wherein i have been using the same display with an old macbook Air late 2013 via the thunderbolt port.

To check if the thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 is working fine or not, i connected it to a 2020 Macbook pro intel and the thunderbolt display is identified and all the ports work.

Tried my level best to connect the display to m1 macbook air but failed. I tried the following:

• Updated the os to the latest, now on 11.2.1
  • Rebooted couple of times plugged in and out.
  • Created a new admin user to see if that works.
  • Also tried by installing third party multi display adapter softwares but nothing worked out.

Please suggest me what can i do that my setup comes to life.

Dec 13, 2020 11:17 AM in response to Alfredmm1

I have some issues with USB-C displays as well. I have a BenQ EW2780U that worked flawlessly with my 2018 MBP, but after using the M1 air, I've noticed that the display is significantly laggier (specifically the mouse movements) than before. Not entirely sure what's going on. Also noticed that the Air's normal display behaves weirdly when Night Shift is on, and changes the colours into a bizarre shade, almost as if its a "colour-blind" setting... also something that didn't occur on older MBP.

Dec 16, 2020 12:23 AM in response to Alfredmm1

I'm also struggling with USB-C monitors and M1 macs. I have both a Mac mini M1 and a MacBok Air M1 and it seems there are USB compatibility issues overall with these M1 macs.

All my DELL USB-C monitors's (4 different models) built in USB-hubs will not work over USB-C until I unplug and plug the USB-C cable back in 1-3 times. Once it works it works even if I put the computers to sleep. But as soon as I reboot or disconnect the USB-C able I have to unplug and plug the cable back in 1-3 times for any USB-hub to be recognized.

I really hope Apple can fix this with software updates in the future.

Dec 16, 2020 4:45 AM in response to Alfredmm1

I have noticed the same behaviour - using a USB-C to DisplayPort connection or a USB-C hub (with HDMI). After a while, the external display blacks out and the display reverts to the internal laptop display only (MacBook Air M1, 512GB). What seems to make a difference is whether my MacBook is connected to power or running on battery. When on power, the display is fine and consistent. When on battery, I have the display problem. It is a mains-powered monitor, so shouldn't be drawing any power via USB-C. So for me, plugging in the external power solves the problem.

Dec 18, 2020 3:05 AM in response to Alfredmm1

I have the same issue with my brand new Mac Mini M1. For me it works over HDMI but not over USB-C/Thunderbold.

I'm using a brand new LG 4K Monitor (32UN88a). Sometimes it recognise my display somehow when I unplug and reconnect the cable many many times by switching between the two USB-C-Ports. But after a restart it doesn't recognise my monitor anymore. I'm hoping that this is just a software issue and Apple can fix soon. It is really frustrating.

Dec 21, 2020 1:06 PM in response to Alfredmm1

Serious issues with LG 32UL950-W and and sleep for M1 macbook air (updated with latest OS- 11.1), connected directly via Thunderbolt cable. Crashes the computer after sleeping for a short period. Mac will reboot and may sit awake (with monitor also on), awaiting login when you return. Unplugging and replugging Thunderbolt cable seems to be required after reboot/login to re-establish connection between laptop and monitor. Once connected, works beautifully (3840 x 2160 / 60Hz) until next sleep.

Dec 25, 2020 1:38 AM in response to mlorin

Exactly same problem with Acer PE270K when connected via USB-C.

The M1 Macbook Air crashes a short time after entering sleep mode.

I have temporary changed de preferences for the M1 never to go to sleep under power.

Another issue is that the monitor itself has a USB hub, and with a Time Machine HD connected to it, when the computer goes to sleep, the disk is incorrectly ejected.

This needs some attention from Apple, since I think that my set up is quite common: use the Air as standalone for travel, and connected to a USB C monitor/hub on the desk.

M1 Macbook air external display issues with usb-c

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.