Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine question: convert HD to APFS then partition or the opposite?

Hello wise ones,

My Time Capsule is dying, so I bought a new My Passport to set up as a new Time Machine backup, but I am unsure how I should proceed. I know (I think) that APFS is the preferred format for backups, but I only want to use 2 TB of the 5 for the backups & leave the rest for any future need. So, my question is whether or not I convert the whole volume then partition, or the opposite, or am I so ignorant that I am going into this completely the wrong way. I want to do this before I finally upgrade to Big Sur, if that matters.

Any help, suggestions, tips, or criticisms appreciated !

Thanks,

Greg

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 4, 2020 9:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2020 9:48 AM

You should not partition a disk used for Time Machine backups but since you insist upon doing that I will spare you the lecture.

Partition a physical disk in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

"However, with APFS, you shouldn’t partition your disk in most cases. Instead, create multiple APFS volumes within a single partition."

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 4, 2020 9:48 AM in response to uroborus

You should not partition a disk used for Time Machine backups but since you insist upon doing that I will spare you the lecture.

Partition a physical disk in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

"However, with APFS, you shouldn’t partition your disk in most cases. Instead, create multiple APFS volumes within a single partition."

Dec 4, 2020 9:56 AM in response to John Galt

Thank you for responding, I appreciate it. So, I think I get what you are saying & appreciate the implied lecture, so for clarity on my part, can I do what I am trying to do but just creating multiple volumes to be used later for future needs, while keeping the Time Machine part within the same overall APFS HD? Meaning instead of partitioning, just make 2 volumes in this case? Apologies for the novice questions, as I haven't done this before & am not ashamed to admit that I am quite ignorant in this.

Dec 4, 2020 1:14 PM in response to uroborus

To my knowledge Time Machine doesn't care which format you use, at least at present. It isn't complaining about my present Mac OS Extended formats yet, but future macOS versions might. If you connect a new TM disk it will use APFS.

You can certainly partition a disk and use additional volumes, and designate one or more for TM. It's just that I don't do that, so I'm reluctant to suggest you won't have trouble. Simplicity generally assures reliability, and especially so when it comes to backups.

I'd also give serious consideration to fixing your Time Capsule. Their internal hard disk drives don't last forever but they are generic and can be replaced with 5 or 6 GB capacity drives for less than $100. It's a bit tedious.

Dec 4, 2020 1:24 PM in response to John Galt

Thank you again for this, very much appreciated! I didn't know you could do that with a Time Capsule, I will definitely look into that.

I figured that it was better future proofing to go the APFS route, and in regards to partitioning or additional volumes, I'm just plain ignorant as I've never had to think about it much less do it, as the Time Capsule has been more than adequate until lately. Do you know if replacing the hard drive in it is something that I can do, or should I take it in? Probably the easiest answer is to take it in, but I'm always up for a challenge as well, but if it's tedious, well.....

Thanks again for your help & insights.

Dec 5, 2020 1:20 PM in response to John Galt

Hey again, wondering if I can pick your brain one more time. I went ahead and formatted the drive to APFS, or so I thought, & changed Time Machine to the new drive. However, in the middle of the backup, I checked the drive in Disk Utility & it is still showing to be in macOS extended. I'm confused as to how this happened, as I chose convert to APFS, it did it's thing, & I thought it was done, as it said it was complete. So, should I erase the backup & try it again?

Again, any suggestions & mild lectures are appreciated!

Greg

Time machine question: convert HD to APFS then partition or the opposite?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.