Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer messages from Android to iOS problem with timestamp

I have problem with "move to iOS" app transfer my data form Samsung S7 to iPhone 12 Pro. The data transfer ends successfully, but all messages have the same date and time. I did everything according to Apple's instructions and recommendations. I also noticed that after restarting the iPhone, messages take the date and time the phone was started.

In order to rule out problems with the Samsung phone, I also tried to transfer messages from the Huawei phone however the effect was the same.

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Dec 4, 2020 12:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2021 7:47 AM

ivardo wrote:

Hi, interesting, can you describe a little bit more how you did it, step by step?

Sure.

1. First and worst of all I had to do a Factory Reset on the iPhone"Erase All Content and Settings". Because the transfer can only be done during the initial setup of the iPhone - as far as I know.
  2. I also removed my SIM-card to prevent the phones from synchronising date and time from the career. I don't know if this was necessary.
  3. On my Android I
    1. Installed the app Move to iOS from the Google Play Store
    2. Set the timezone to manual and language/date format to US - Los Angeles and
    3. Rebooted the Android phone.
  4. When starting up the initial iPhone setup I choose English and US - Los Angeles as the country/area.
  5. Then I followed the steps in the Move to iOS app and afterwords the rest of the iPhone Setup.

• After finishing the setup my messages were all there with the correct dates and time stamp - on the minute!
  • I could now change the language and country to my needs on the iPhone (Denmark & Danish in my case)

Hope this will help you :-)

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2021 7:47 AM in response to ivardo

ivardo wrote:

Hi, interesting, can you describe a little bit more how you did it, step by step?

Sure.

1. First and worst of all I had to do a Factory Reset on the iPhone"Erase All Content and Settings". Because the transfer can only be done during the initial setup of the iPhone - as far as I know.
  2. I also removed my SIM-card to prevent the phones from synchronising date and time from the career. I don't know if this was necessary.
  3. On my Android I
    1. Installed the app Move to iOS from the Google Play Store
    2. Set the timezone to manual and language/date format to US - Los Angeles and
    3. Rebooted the Android phone.
  4. When starting up the initial iPhone setup I choose English and US - Los Angeles as the country/area.
  5. Then I followed the steps in the Move to iOS app and afterwords the rest of the iPhone Setup.

• After finishing the setup my messages were all there with the correct dates and time stamp - on the minute!
  • I could now change the language and country to my needs on the iPhone (Denmark & Danish in my case)

Hope this will help you :-)

Feb 25, 2021 5:20 AM in response to mar145

This worked for me!

I now have 7 years of text messages all with the correct date and time stamp. (And most images to).

mar145 wrote:

Set US date and time, both on Android and iPhone. Then transfer messages with "Move to iOS" (I also didn't allow for Localization during initial set up).

(From Google Pixel 5 --> iPhone 12 Pro Max)

Mar 16, 2021 8:39 AM in response to ronnidc

Well, now I have tried transfering this way. And it worked! Thanks. And I just can't understand why this isn't fixed in the Move to iOS app. I've got no clue, but it can't be that hard to solve this problem in the app. For people moving from Android to iOS it's not a warm welcoming to the iOS universe starting with frustration regarding timestamp on the messages.

Transfer messages from Android to iOS problem with timestamp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.