Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I set up my new iPhone 12 from my old iPhone 8. Now how do I shut down and wipe off my old iPhone 8 without losing everything I just transferred to the new iPhone 12?

How do I shut down and wipe out my old iPhone without wiping out all the data I just transferred to my new iPhone?

iPhone 12, iOS 14

Posted on Dec 4, 2020 5:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2020 5:39 PM

Why do you think erasing the old phone will wipe out the new one?

If you are planning on getting rid of the iPhone 8 follow this: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

5 replies

Dec 4, 2020 10:34 PM in response to deggie

Hi Deggie,

I just did the above (Erase all contents and settings) on an iPad (a few days ago) and have done this several times on iPhones over the years. The process Turned OFF Find My, The process has always wiped the device clean and returned it to factory settings and at the Hello Screen. The device was also removed from under the device list for that Apple ID. What am I missing?

Axel F.

I set up my new iPhone 12 from my old iPhone 8. Now how do I shut down and wipe off my old iPhone 8 without losing everything I just transferred to the new iPhone 12?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.