Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replace SSD in Mac Pro

Hi — I've got a 2019 Mac Pro and realized I skimped on the SSD with only 2TB , and I actually need more... only I do not want to just add an extra PCIe SSD to the existing 2TB one, I want to completely replace the 2TB with a 4TB one so it's actually a single 4TB boot-able hard drive.

Whats the best way to handle this? The upgrade kits don't seem like they're replacing the existing drive? Help?

Posted on Dec 4, 2020 5:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2020 1:31 AM

Search for "SSD Kit for Mac Pro" in the online Apple Store. 1, 2, 4 and 8TB options are available. This is the description for the 4TB product. It replaces your existing SSD modules. Pay particular attention to the requirement for a second Mac.

The 4TB SSD Kit for Mac Pro enables you to upgrade the internal SSD storage capacity of your Mac Pro. This kit, containing two 2TB modules, replaces the current SSD module(s) in your system. Installation required.

Note: Software reinstallation requires a second Mac running Apple Configurator 2 and a USB-C cable. Compatible with Mac Pro (2019).
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2020 1:31 AM in response to rourk

Search for "SSD Kit for Mac Pro" in the online Apple Store. 1, 2, 4 and 8TB options are available. This is the description for the 4TB product. It replaces your existing SSD modules. Pay particular attention to the requirement for a second Mac.

The 4TB SSD Kit for Mac Pro enables you to upgrade the internal SSD storage capacity of your Mac Pro. This kit, containing two 2TB modules, replaces the current SSD module(s) in your system. Installation required.

Note: Software reinstallation requires a second Mac running Apple Configurator 2 and a USB-C cable. Compatible with Mac Pro (2019).

Dec 4, 2020 6:35 PM in response to rourk

The device provided as the Boot drive in the 2019 Mac Pro is implemented as two cards in a special PAIR of slots, It is not in a regular PCIe slot, and it is not ONE drive.

Apple will not sell you such an upgrade. They only replace like with like.

It is not necessary or even helpful to pile everything onto the boot drive. Best performance is obtained the Sources are on one drive, Destinations on another, and boot drive is separate form both.

More drives is a FAR better way to go. if you want really fast, you can buy a PCIe slot card drive.

Dec 5, 2020 7:47 AM in response to rourk

The Mac has never had a single 'Magic place' to boot from. It boots from the device last-specified in System preferences > Startup drive.

Having a different fast drive would give you the capability for multiple Booting (bot NOT any version of MacOS OLDER that the version that shipped on your model Mac when it was introduced), without having to add extra complexity of multi-partitioning the boot drive.

Replace SSD in Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.