Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook doesn't have enough space to install BigSur even with Optimize Storage checked with iCloud (1.5TB free)

I have 1.5 TB of free storage on my iCloud and I have the "Optimize Mac Storage" option in my iCloud in system preferences checked on my MacBook, but my MacBook which has 512 GB SSD is still full and I don't have enough space to download and install the new MacOS, Big Sur. I can't even edit videos. What am I supposed to do? I also have my documents folder completely synced with my iCloud and my photos app, I thought by checking "Optimize Mac Storage" with all that would free considerable space on my MacBook Pro but...nope! Need desperate help!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 5, 2020 1:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2020 2:23 AM

Try to remove iCloud downloads manually. You need free storage locally on your Mac to install a system upgrade, not "Available" storage that needs to be purged.

You can remove downloads from iCloud on iCloud Drive by selecting the folder or file on iCloud Drive and ctrl-click or right click it and select "Remove Download". The way, the item will remain in iCloud, but not mirrored on your Mac locally.

Remove the local downloads in your Music Library and TV as well, if you are using iCloud with your Music or videos.

To check the free space on your system volume, look at the volume with Disk Utility.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2020 2:23 AM in response to igotsnakeeyes

Try to remove iCloud downloads manually. You need free storage locally on your Mac to install a system upgrade, not "Available" storage that needs to be purged.

You can remove downloads from iCloud on iCloud Drive by selecting the folder or file on iCloud Drive and ctrl-click or right click it and select "Remove Download". The way, the item will remain in iCloud, but not mirrored on your Mac locally.

Remove the local downloads in your Music Library and TV as well, if you are using iCloud with your Music or videos.

To check the free space on your system volume, look at the volume with Disk Utility.

MacBook doesn't have enough space to install BigSur even with Optimize Storage checked with iCloud (1.5TB free)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.