Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to stop password input when installing and uninstalling an app

Hi all.

I'd like to know if there is a way to stop MacOS from asking me to enter my password when I am trying to install or uninstall a program. It's a bit annoying.

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Dec 5, 2020 6:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2020 6:10 AM

Applications that are installing components outside of your home directory, must be granted permission to do so, as your user permissions alone, cannot do this. The password prompt is requesting your adminstrator password which elevates your privileges to allow the installation. There is no suppressing this dialog.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2020 6:10 AM in response to jacolene

Applications that are installing components outside of your home directory, must be granted permission to do so, as your user permissions alone, cannot do this. The password prompt is requesting your adminstrator password which elevates your privileges to allow the installation. There is no suppressing this dialog.

How to stop password input when installing and uninstalling an app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.