Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use imac (retina 5k, 27 inch, 2017) as another display with my MacBook Pro 2020

I want to use iMac retina 5k, 27 inch, 2017 as a second screen for MacBook Pro (four thunderbolts 3 ports. With dell I have no problem but with the high tech product of the same company is problem. Does anybody know the solution ?

Posted on Dec 5, 2020 8:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2020 8:56 AM

Apple started the deprecation of Target Display Mode six years ago. The LAST iMac that could act as an external monitor for another Mac were the MIF 2014 iMac.

Now Apple have completed the deprecation by removing the ability for 2020 Mac to use an iMac as an external monitor. Even the support article has been archived and is getting no new updates so we have not iDea if TDM can be used form any mac running Big Sur.

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

So both Macs you mention are now outside of the supported models for TDM.

That leaves some form of network screen sharing. Not the fastest but usually OK fo r business apps.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/share-the-screen-of-another-mac-mh14066/mac

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2020 8:56 AM in response to Swenlike

Apple started the deprecation of Target Display Mode six years ago. The LAST iMac that could act as an external monitor for another Mac were the MIF 2014 iMac.

Now Apple have completed the deprecation by removing the ability for 2020 Mac to use an iMac as an external monitor. Even the support article has been archived and is getting no new updates so we have not iDea if TDM can be used form any mac running Big Sur.

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

So both Macs you mention are now outside of the supported models for TDM.

That leaves some form of network screen sharing. Not the fastest but usually OK fo r business apps.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/share-the-screen-of-another-mac-mh14066/mac

How to use imac (retina 5k, 27 inch, 2017) as another display with my MacBook Pro 2020

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.