Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is Big Sur overheating my MacBook Air?

I downloaded Big Sur onto my MacBook Air and it appears to be overheating. How can this be fixed? It should work for this model....

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 5, 2020 10:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2020 9:54 AM

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities Dog_Lady,

We see that you're having an issue with he temperature of your MacBook Air after upgrading to macOS Big Sur. We certainly understand wanting to have this issue addressed, and we'd be happy to help.

First, let's have you reset the SMC (system management controller), this can help with thermal management.

How to reset the SMC of your Mac

Let us know how this goes and if the issue remains. If the issue remains, can you tell us if this is happening when using a specific app or apps?

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2020 9:54 AM in response to Dog_Lady

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities Dog_Lady,

We see that you're having an issue with he temperature of your MacBook Air after upgrading to macOS Big Sur. We certainly understand wanting to have this issue addressed, and we'd be happy to help.

First, let's have you reset the SMC (system management controller), this can help with thermal management.

How to reset the SMC of your Mac

Let us know how this goes and if the issue remains. If the issue remains, can you tell us if this is happening when using a specific app or apps?

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Why is Big Sur overheating my MacBook Air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.